Director, Documentaries (Hulu)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10009966 Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney General Entertainment Content Date posted Nov. 09, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Hulu’s Content team is seeking a Director, Documentaries who will be an exceptional addition to our Nonfiction team. As a Director, Documentaries at Hulu, you will help initiate and drive the sourcing, development and production of Hulu Originals with a focus on feature documentaries and premium cable-quality nonfiction series. The right person for this role is a highly self-directed and enthusiastic problem solver, with an ability to inspire and effect change through influence and collaboration. If you are someone who has honed creative instincts, strong industry relationships, and experience with state-of-the-art creative development and production, then this is a great role for you.
- Develop a deep understanding of Hulu’s brand values, key demo target/s, and business objectives to help determine what original series will move the needle for the brand and generate significant commercial value.
- Leverage director, prod co, and agency contacts to actively bring in on-brand, on-model projects.
- Help manage a slate and schedule with a large volume of projects.
- Research existing IP and develop ideas in-house for documentary films and limited series.
- Collaborate with the VP of Documentaries to build a robust development pipeline to achieve a best in class slate of projects.
- Work with creators, external partners, and the Hulu executive team to develop and note treatments and cuts.
- Work with in-house marketing and publicity teams to facilitate creative asset creation and to give input when needed on marketing materials, press releases, festival strategy etc.
- Work closely with marketing and publicity to develop and produce ancillary content for social media and other promotional purposes.
- Work alongside the VP of Documentaries, Sr. Manager and respective team on all aspects of creative development and production.
- Serve as point executive on multiple Hulu Original projects - overseeing day-to-day development, production, and internal communication.
- Proven track record of success as a highly creative and results-driven executive.
- Significant and progressive work experience developing material into high-quality, viable films and episodic series.
- An established credibility and base of existing relationships across the creative community (including directors, producers, agents, festival programmers with an eye to both established and emerging talent).
- A commitment to identifying and elevating talent and stories from underrepresented groups.
- Skilled at audience-focused content development, with an appreciation for sophisticated/specialized audience tastes and preferences.
- A honed creative voice. Confident in instincts but understanding the importance of the give and take in the creative process.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships with talent and production partners.
- Ability to work and navigate in a high-tech, evolving start-up setting.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Exceptional attention to detail.
- Diplomatic personality and ability to work productively with a variety of personalities.
- A real love and deep knowledge of non-fiction storytelling
- Experience with theatrical distribution, film acquisition deals, and film festivals is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
About Disney General Entertainment Content:
The Disney General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hulu Enterprises, LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney General Entertainment Content.
Hulu Enterprises, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.