Lead Software Engineer, Content CatalogApply NowApply Later Job ID 955495BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted May 10, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Media Engineering handles audio, video, and metadata content from ingest through publish - for normalization, processing, and packaging - supporting operator tools and automation for a scalable workflow. We build logic across players and back-end services to measure, control, and optimize playback across our stack.
We’re changing the world of streaming video and looking for a fearless, talented software engineer to build our vision of a global content management platform to delight our operators and captivate our viewers. As a Lead Software Engineer in the Content Catalog team, you will drive the technical architecture, implementation, and improvement of services that manage millions of titles delivered to hundreds of millions of viewers. Our services receive content from over 1500 partners and manages who can watch what, when, where and how. You will be expected to work cross-functionally with product, operations, project management and upstream and downstream engineering teams to align on our designs for new and extensible models and features. You will also drive Dev Ops best practices for the team, so our software just runs itself.
- Lead technical design and implementation of new features
- Drive project phasing and delivery together with your manager and Technical Project Managers
- Identify areas for improvements in our systems and workflows
- Set engineering standards for the team and proactively seek out ways to improve the codebase
- Mentor junior and mid-level engineers
- Take a user-centric approach to improving our content management systems, tools, and workflows
- 7+ years of software development experience, and proficiency in Java, Python, C++, or similar language and related service frameworks like SpringBoot, JaxRS or DJango
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and ability to drive consensus across cross-functional business partners.
- Proficiency in design and implementation of scalable distributed systems providing resilient and high performance for both transactional and eventually consistent behaviors.
- Strong knowledge of core CS fundamentals and data structures (hashing, trees, graphs, queues, heaps), and a tenacious drive to minimize algorithmic complexity.
- Experience with web services, preferably AWS, and firm understanding of best practices in architecture and usage of messaging, queues, storage, relational and non-relational DBs, distributed caches, search indexes, operational monitoring and performance tuning.
- A strong sense of ownership of personal relationships, technical systems and operational issues.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hulu, LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Hulu, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.