Lead Software Engineer
Santa Monica, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 869662BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Oct. 08, 2021
Job Summary:Hulu is a premium streaming service that offers premium originals, current season TV, a massive library of hit series and movies, and live television. Disney+ is the Disney-branded streaming service featuring an outstanding collection of content from its brands and franchises recognized and respected all over the world including Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Disney, and NatGeo. Our combined Disney and Hulu team is looking for hardworking team players to join the Media Engineering team, who will thrive upon the legacy of Disney and Hulu, embrace unconventional thinking, and who are passionate about contributing to The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer (DTC) experience through strategic hard work and determination.
The Live Pipeline (Video) team is responsible for ensuring that Hulu's customers have a reliable Live TV experience and are able to enjoy live events in high quality and with high availability. The team has ownership for the different renditions of video - everything from mobile to TV. They are responsible for the packaging of content, both DRM and protocol delivery formats – delivering video to an iOS device is much different than delivering video to an XBOX One. The team is responsible for end-to-end quality for video delivery. We deal with a wide variety of channels, each with their own quirks, and have to build systems to keep the streams flowing 24/7, despite these complexities. We are looking for a talented Software Developer to help us build the most sophisticated, reliable video delivery engine in the industry.
- Drive the live digital video delivery pipeline for Hulu’s premium online video service
- Design tools to support operations of a 24/7 live service
- Sweat every millisecond of latency
- Dream of the next big thing in video streaming
- Design, monitor, and scale complex systems that juggle different areas of business logic quickly and reliably
- Identify areas for improvements in our systems and workflows
- Set engineering standards for the team and proactively seek out ways to improve the codebase
- Mentor junior and mid-level engineers
- Minimum 7 years of software development experience using Go
- Experience designing and building scalable, fault-tolerant, high-uptime backend systems
- Creative and resourceful problem solving, not taking ‘that’s just the way it is’ for an answer
- Experience working with large scale backend content delivery
- Deep understanding and passion for all aspects of video encoding and playback
- Minimum 3 years of software development experience using Python
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.