Lead Software EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 901540BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Jun. 19, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
Operations Resiliency Engineer team bridges the gap between Engineering and Operations, breaking down communication barriers to ensure operational needs and engineering requirements are clearly understood. Lead Software Engineer take this shared understanding and facilitate solutions through supporting APIs, UIs, Platforms, and real-time data processing pipelines.
As a Lead Software Engineer for the Operational Resiliency Engineering team, partnerships with internal engineering and operations teams are leveraged to identify and address gaps in inter-team processes, and tools, that are essential to support operational maturity, agility, and resiliency. You will leverage full-stack engineering toolsets, and a clear understanding of the problem, while you gather constant stakeholder feedback in a fast-paced and iterative development process. You will build value for teams quickly, saving them time and energy while focusing on their critical deliverables. Software Engineers help improve the signal-to-noise ratio of monitoring, alerting, and auto-mitigation systems through a deep understanding of the process - from instrumentation to deployment and runtime, all the way to incident management and resolution.
OREs drive collaboration between engineering and non-engineering stakeholders. Constantly dropped into unfamiliar codebases, APIs, technologies, and workflows, a Lead ORE needs to lead solutions development by leading partnership conversations and quickly achieving situational awareness. Effective communication is key to success. A Lead ORE is an effective collaborator to the skilled teams we work with, listening to their needs and forming an understanding of the process, work, and the problems they'd like to address.
The primary skill a Lead Software Engineer should possess is the confidence and ability to communicate and work effectively in unfamiliar situations. In working with so many teams, all with different backgrounds, processes, expertise and technologies - it's critical that a Lead Software Engineer can adapt quickly, assess the situation and provide quality solutions to those teams' problems. It is also critical that we act quickly and use our full-stack knowledge to enable those solutions & traverse any barriers that may pop up.
If you enjoy a fast-paced work environment where you can use your engineering knowledge to improve the effectiveness and happiness of diverse teams... If you enjoy constantly being challenged by unfamiliar situations, using those situations as a way to learn and improve your craft... If you enjoy having one-on-one conversations with the users of your tools, finding fulfillment in their successes, working with them to iteratively make your tools more useful...then the ORE team is right for you!
- Architect tool-agnostic frameworks and services to connect and track systems, services and networks cross-organizationally
- Innovate solutions for operational pain points to maximize efficiency, eliminate repetitive, manual work and enhance overall operational maturity
- Lead broad inter-team communications, facilitating discussion, weighing trade-offs, navigating friction, translating/educating on technical concepts
- Work closely with operations teams cross-organizationally to identify opportunities for tooling/automations for optimal productivity
- Design and develop APIs that will enable aggregate data for storage, transformation, and transfer
- Keep abreast of and architect solutions to adhere to Enterprise Software & Policies (understanding of basic restrictions and policies around SOX, PCI, Personally-Identifiable Information)
- Devise data visualizations and dashboards that organize, frame and communicate data in a way that empowers teams in analysis, reporting, planning and incident management
- Partner with service owners to improve telemetry and ensure preventative and remedial solutions are operational for a non-engineering workforce
- Mentor other engineers on the team in problem-solving, solution architecting, troubleshooting, and advanced technical expertise
- Programming languages (Object-oriented, Functional, Declarative, Interpreted, Compiled, Scripted)
- Full stack development preferred
- Cloud Infrastructure (AWS, Terraform) is a plus
- Systems (Linux fundamentals, resilient deployment practices, inter-service Networking with AWS VPCs and Load Balancers)
- Security (IAM, OAuth, secure coding practices)
- Data storage, transformation, and transfer (MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis, Kafka, Kinesis, Avro)
- Application Runtime and Deployment (Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins/Spinnaker)
- API development, architecture, and communication (REST, GraphQL, SQS & Asynchronous Processing, Scaling techniques, HTTP Status Codes and HTTP Protocol Standards)
- Software Reliability and Resiliency Practices (Circuit Breaker & Bulkhead pattern, background processing and failure handling, inter-region fallbacks/failovers, best-case/worst-case/average-case performance)
- Modern Frontend Development (JS, React, HTML, CSS, SCSS)
- UX, Data Visualization and Information Architecture
- Incident & Change Management (familiarity with ITIL, runbooks, or a background in Operations is a major plus)
- Enterprise Software & Policies (understanding of basic restrictions and policies around SOX, PCI, Personally-Identifiable Information)
Additional Information:Candidate can be fully remote or would out of our offices in Santa Monica, CA; Seattle, WA; New York, NY; San Francisco, CA
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.