Manager, Data EngineeringApply NowApply Later Job ID 10015867 Location Santa Monica, California, United States / Seattle, Washington, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Sep. 21, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Our Data and Analytics team for Disney Streaming Services (DSS), a segment under the Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) is looking for a Data Engineering Manager to join our Content pillar. Data is essential for all our decision-making needs whether it’s related to product design, measuring content effectiveness, helping users discover new content or building new businesses in emerging markets.
You will partner with business, analytics, and other engineering teams to design, build and maintain our growing Data Warehousing and Analytical reporting Environment for Disney’s Streaming Services (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Star+, Hotstar). You will build easy to use data structures to facilitate reporting and monitoring key performance indicators. Collaborating across disciplines, you will identify internal/external data sources to design and implement table structure, data products, ETL strategy and scalable data pipelines.
- Contribute to the design and growth of our Data Products and Data Warehouses around Content Performance and Content Engagement data
- Build a high quality Data Engineering team, setting standards for the team and coaching/mentoring team members to improve their designs and ETL processes
- Design and develop scalable data warehousing solutions, building ETL pipelines in Big Data environments (cloud, on-prem, hybrid)
- Help architect data solutions/frameworks and define data models for the underlying data warehouse and data marts
- Collaborate with Data Product Managers, Data Architects and Data Engineers to design, implement, and deliver successful data solutions
- Create and own the vision for Data and Data Warehousing team for the Content vertical
- Ensure high operational efficiency and quality of your solutions to meet SLAs and support commitment to our customers (Data Science, Data Analytics teams)
- Be an active participant and advocate of agile/scrum practice to ensure health and process improvements for the team
- Develop Data Quality checks for source and target data sets. Develop UAT plans and conduct QA
- 2+ Years in Direct people management capacity
- 5+ years work experience in building data warehousing environments. Strong background of data modeling principles including Dimensional modeling, data normalization principles etc.
- 5 + years experience using analytic SQL, working with traditional relational databases and/or distributed systems such as Hadoop / Hive, BigQuery, Redshift.
- Expertise with programming languages (e.g. Python, R, bash)
- Experience with workflow management tools (Airflow, Oozie, Azkaban, UC4)
- Project Management experience
- Nice to have experience with Hadoop (or similar) Ecosystem (MapReduce, Yarn, HDFS, Hive, Spark, Presto, Pig, HBase)
- Familiarity with data exploration / data visualization tools like Tableau, Chartio, etc.
- Ability to think strategically, analyze and interpret market and consumer information
- Strong communication skills – written and verbal presentations
- Excellent conceptual and analytical reasoning competencies
- Degree in an analytical field such as economics, mathematics, or computer science is desired
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field or equivalent Experience
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.