Manager, Quality Engineering - Video
Santa Monica, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID oi18dfwo Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Hulu Date posted Feb. 20, 2021
Hulu’s Video team is seeking a Manager, Quality Engineering who will be an extraordinary addition to our team! As a Manager, Quality Engineering at Hulu, you will be a domain-expert in SVOD and Live video services, will help lead the strategy and delivery of our test automation in the Video-space, and will facilitate releasing quality software with high confidence in the pursuit of delighting our customers. You will collaborate closely with engineering leads, product managers, and partner teams to launch new features to Hulu’s millions of customers. The right person has recent hands-on "in the trenches” experience developing technical solutions, demonstrates a strong sense of collaboration in their work and professional relationships, clearly and thoughtfully communicates in their areas of expertise, empathizes with and advocates for the needs of customers, and loves mentoring others in their technical and professional development. If you are someone who effectively moves between high-level concepts and low-level execution, then this is a great role for you!
What you'll do
- Lead a team of Software Engineers delivering test automation, CI/CD solutions, and tools that empower our dev teams to ship new features/fixes to Hulu’s millions of customers
- Work closely with Hulu’s engineering teams and architects to advocate for/facilitate testability within our applications
- Mentor team members to teach them technical and quality-related concepts to drive test coverage and overall product quality
- Bootstrap your team’s work and lead by example via your own technical contributions
- Collaborate with product managers and software developers in an open and creative way to define acceptance criteria and test strategies
- Provide day-to-day leadership and long-term career guidance to members of your team
- Use data to define metrics that provide visibility into the quality of Hulu’s services
- Identify and drive improvements in engineering methodologies to ensure industry-leading system quality and team efficiency
What to bring
- Bachelor’s degree or the foreign equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology, or a closely related field
- 3+ years in a technical leadership role leading a team of 3+ engineers and working with agile processes (E.g. Scrum, Kanban)
- Strong programming skills in Java, Python, Ruby, C#, or similar
- Experience with back-end test automation frameworks/tools (E.g. pytest, Behave, REST Assured, WireMock, JUnit, Karate)
- Proficient with version control software (E.g. GitHub) and issue/project tracking software (E.g. Jira)
- Experience with software development/debugging tools (E.g. Postman, curl, Chrome Dev Tools)
- Experience with build/deploy tools (E.g. Jenkins, Bamboo, Docker, Kubernetes, Spinnaker)
- Experience with test suite/case/run management tools (E.g. Xray, qTest, TestRail)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (E.g. Whiteboarding/diagramming system behavior)
- Deep understanding of quality-related agile methodologies and tools and validated experience using both during the SDLC
- Shown experience collaborating with software engineers and product owners resulting in high quality work
- Proven experience demonstrating analytical skills, reporting, leadership, focus on the viewer, and collaboration
- Strong time management skills
- Experience with and understanding of OTT media services, adaptive bitrate streaming (E.g. MPEG-DASH, HLS fMP4), multi-CDN switching, video codecs (E.g. H.264), encryption (E.g. MPEG-CENC), ad insertion (E.g. SCTE-35), DRM (E.g. PlayReady) and using ffmpeg/other audio/video/streaming libraries
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience developing advanced mocking mechanisms (E.g. rule-based proxies)
Just like the best ensemble casts of our favorite shows, Hulu embraces diversity and is an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. Hulu is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants if needed during the interview process. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we're looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hulu, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Hulu.
Hulu, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.