Manager, Software EngineeringApply NowApply Later NOTE: We have a new application system, please create a new account if you have not done so yet when applying. Job ID 71192895 Location Santa Monica, California, United States / New York, New York, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jul. 05, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
At Disney Streaming, data is central to measuring all aspects of delivering streaming video. The Data, Algorithms, Tech, Analytics (D.A.T.A.) organization within Disney Streaming builds trusted data solutions, algorithms and actionable insights to empower Disney to deliver business outcomes that delight our customers.
The Compute and Orchestration team within D.A.T.A.’s infrastructure group is looking for a Manager, Data Engineering to oversee all things job orchestration. You will be tasked with overseeing and directing platform offerings related to job scheduling, big data workflow management, and more. You will be responsible for leading the team that ensures these platform offerings scale with our growing business; this includes aligning our offerings with the broader platform group and innovating on newer initiatives around lineage and real time alerting.
At Disney Streaming we feel strongly that teams should own their own processes, decide their own technologies, and design solutions for the long term. If you're interested in working in a highly collaborative team environment like this, please get in touch - we'd love to hear from you!
- Lead a cross-functional team of engineers; drive process improvement, recruitment, professional development, and effective team culture
- Ensure current tools operate effectively and scalably, while also collaborating with product management to set a long-term strategy and roadmap to meet Disney Streaming’s expanding needs for big data job orchestration
- Build tools and services to support lineage, data governance, and real time notifications across the data platform
- Influence and drive software engineering and architecture best practices and standards within the team and wider organization, along with a culture of quality, innovation, and experimentation
- Work with other teams: evangelize the platform, best-practices, data driven decisions; identify new use cases and features and drive adoption
Basic Qualifications :
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience; 2+ years of management experience leading projects and building teams
Preferred Qualifications :
- Proficient with Python
- Proven experience with workflow scheduler tools such as Airflow, Prefect, or Luigi
- Deep experience deploying and running cloud-based data solutions (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Ability to dive deep into any technical component as well as understand and drive the overall systems architecture.
- Experience with data processing in Spark/Databricks/EMR or data warehousing with Redshift/Snowflake
- Familiarity with metadata management, data lineage, and principles of data governance
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Required Education :
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hulu, LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Hulu, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.