Manager, Software EngineeringApply NowApply Later Job ID 10061083 Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology Date posted Sep. 19, 2023
The Disney Entertainment organization plays a central role in the future growth of The Walt Disney Company. Our team is responsible for worldwide linear and digital media distribution, design and development of all consumer-facing digital products, advertising technology, consumer data, and international broadcast operations. Our employees are leading, creating, and innovating, making bold moves in unexpected directions that redefine not just what a media company does, but what it can do. With The Walt Disney Company, you can be part of media's evolution, helping us create what's next.
Ad Serving Engineering organization within Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution organization is fully responsible for building, enhancing and maintaining the high-performance, distributed, microservice-based Digital Advertising Platform. The platform is charged with the qualification, delivery, and tracking of Digital Advertising campaigns (Video on Demand, Live TV, and innovative interactive ads) across all of Disney online properties, including Hulu and ESPN+.
In addition, Ad Serving teams collaborate in the development of supporting components, such as anti-ad fatigue systems, impression counting pipelines, and ad experience flows. We also work on integrations with critical services responsible for the correct pacing, targeting, and selection of ads.
As a member of our team, you will apply your knowledge and skills to help us deliver scalable, performant, maintainable, and testable software.
On a daily basis you should bring:
- A willingness and desire to effectively communicate and collaborate across teams and systems.
- Demonstrated ownership for the projects delivered by your team and department.
- Knowledge of system design and implementation best practices to guide and mentor.
- A passion for mentoring, learning, and adapting to a very dynamic and fast paced environment.
- A proven ability to work with product teams to translate requirements into well-defined technical implementations, as well as the ability to define technical and operational metrics to measure system health.
- A keen eye for potential optimizations and enhancements to our services
Kindness and pragmatic optimism.
- Your unique view and experience
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
- Reviewing a lot of code and tests.
- Available for a weekly-rotating On-Call support schedule.
- Reading requirements documentation from Product and translating into implementation tickets, and leading the team through execution.
- Defining, reviewing, documenting, and estimating LOE for software and system designs in a high throughput, low latency microservices environment.
- Defining and prioritizing sprintable work for your team, as well as working with other leads on cross-functional projects.
- Enhancing systems’ observability with proper metrics, monitors and alerts.
- Weekly 1:1 meetings with team members to guide them through personal and career development.
- Annual reviews for direct reports.
- BS in Computer Science / Engineering or relevant work experience
- 8+ years of software engineering experience
- Advanced proficiency with Java, such as understanding heap, multi-threading, profiling
- Demonstrable analytical / problem solving skills
- Great communication, collaboration skills and a strong teamwork ethic with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated experience leading a software development team
- MS in Computer Science / Engineering
- SpringBoot and related Spring projects
- Non-relational database technologies e.g. DynamoDB, Redis and/or MemCache Apache Kafka and/or Kinesis
- AWS or other cloud platform, Terraform, Docker and Kubernetes
- Ad Tech industry
The hiring range for this position in California is $164,492 - $220,660 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology:
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hulu, LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology.
Hulu, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.