Principal Software Developer
Santa Monica, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID oe6qffwJ Location Santa Monica, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United States Business Hulu Date posted Jun. 04, 2021
Disney+ is the Disney-branded streaming service featuring an outstanding collection of content from its brands and franchises recognized and respected all over the world including Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Disney, and NatGeo. Hulu is a premium streaming service that offers premium originals, current season TV, a massive library of hit series and movies, and live television. Our combined Disney and Hulu team is looking for hardworking team players to join the Media Engineering team, who will thrive upon the legacy of Disney and Hulu, embrace unconventional thinking, and who are passionate about contributing to The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer (DTC) experience through strategic hard work and determination.
The Content Management Platform team is seeking a Principal Software Developer who is sharp, motivated, and will help build the technology backbone of Media Engineering. This team is responsible for the end-to-end technology needed to acquire content from over 1500 partners and deliver the highest quality video to tens of millions of users. In this position, you’ll be responsible for costs & scaling of architecture across a JVM, Node/React, and Python ecosystem, building on AWS.
- Lead design of well-architected solutions and build iteratively into systems while maintaining agile practices best
- Drive best engineering practices to write well-constructed and easy to maintain code and defensive and robust tests
- Challenge current architectural choices, driving a great developer experience with as little friction as possible from local environment to production releases
- Lead through metrics – understand application performance & costs, and push for better results
- Take responsibility for quality delivery – keep an eye on how launches & build outs are progressing, and steer direction when needed
- Minimum 8 years of software development experience and proficiency in Java, Python, or similar
- Experience with relational (SQL based) and non-relational database (MongoDB, Cassandra, DynamoDB) technologies, and messaging technologies (Kafka, SQS, SNS, Kinesis
- The ability to jump into a project and contribute immediately to both architecture and implementation
- Strong coding, code design and architectural skills
- An enjoyment for going deep on performance tuning and a love of owning a problem end-to-end
- A desire to relentlessly dive into problems and improve systems and quality of delivery
- A knack for crafting large scale distributed systems in the Cloud (AWS)
- Front end knowledge – ReactJS, WebPack, front end architecture are useful in widening impact
- Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing and Deep Learning experience will help in understanding the full ecosystem
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we're looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hulu, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Hulu.
Hulu, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.