Manager, Technical Program ManagementApply NowApply Later Job ID 814884BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jun. 17, 2021
The Media Engineering team is seeking a Manager, Technical Program Management for the Quality, Targeting & Experience (QTE) group. The group’s charter is to build software solutions that understand our media and delivery options and capabilities at a granular level in order to bring users the most optimal experience. The QTE group’s work directly influences the selection, stability and quality of media experience delivered to customers for our products and champions the value of quality of experience, telemetry collection and analysis in media selection criteria.
The person in this role will help lead technical teams to build backend software solutions that enable users to influence how media is targeted for the best user experience given changing network conditions around the globe. This role provides a unique opportunity for someone to join a growing, data-driven team building critical path software that makes a difference in how users experience media on Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu.
The person in this role will play a key part in forming, tracking and updating the QTE team’s roadmap, working across the team to create and communicate the group’s work to stakeholders and establishing processes with engineering leaders to incorporate changes and agree on solutions.
This is a management position with an expectation for leading the project management discipline within the QTE team. The person in this role will mentor, encourage process improvement within the TPM vertical and measure success, seeking to adjust where needed to better suit the team’s needs.
- Manage large teams, complex high-profile technical projects, and act as the primary owner for communication and tracking of technical workstreams, their milestones, dependencies, and risks in QTE team
- Manage TPM direct reports on the QTE team, providing guidance and support to grow their skills and career. Lead project managers to continuously iterate on project execution, system monitoring, and cost optimization best practices within our organization
- Demonstrate product and technical knowledge and facilitate the development of requirements in consideration of known technical capabilities and limitations
- Report and manage capacity of QTE team, working with Product and Enterprise teams to ensure proper projects are represented on shared roadmaps and identifying capacity concerns
- Establish departmental roadmap and project management processes, but be able to critique their impact and adjust for improvement
- Identify, analyze, prioritize, mitigate and communicate project risks to internal and external partners.
- Perform the Product Owner function, should a need exist
- Collaborate with project partners to help define scope and objectives, communicating requirements to development teams and TPMs
- Work with engineering leads to identify and plan for technical advancements and improvements to software for the long term while delivering major projects
- Build strong relationships with partnered engineering teams; providing oversight and direction for multiple concurrent projects with separate stakeholders simultaneously; cultivating relationships across engineering and technical teams while driving teams toward solutions and well-defined deliverables
- Well-established in Technical Project Management, having 7+ years experience in the software industry with hands-on experience executing Lean and Agile software development methodologies
- Proven track record of delivering reliable, scalable, service-oriented web services.
- Possess a working understanding of software design best practices and DevOps, and actively promote CI/CD release management processes
- Familiarity with web services, JVM languages, serverless compute, stream-processing, relational and non-relational databases, and distributed systems
- Have developed essential soft skills vital to the Project Manager role, including meeting leadership, communication, teamwork, collaboration, flexibility, problem solving, critical thinking, & conflict resolution
- Have developed essential skills in collaborating with multiple engineering stakeholders to create a cohesive roadmap, conscious of team capacity and timelines.
- Have worked across multiple teams in a technical domain and have exhibited success in leading engineering teams to consensus and clear decision
- Experienced in communicating with technical and product leadership about project risk and roadmap changes, proactively working with technical teams in ways to mitigate and adjust where possible
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.