Senior Product Manager, Personalization
Santa Monica, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 774503BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Feb. 23, 2021
Job Summary:Creating a unique and relevant experience for each and every user is fundamental to Disney magic. We aim to tailor our products for every user, quickly connecting them to content they’ll love. This process is both art and science, relying on authoritative content expertise, algorithmic machine learning, and rapid experimentation. The work we do has huge scope--- the services in Disney Streaming Services enable experiences for 137+ million users across Disney+, Hulu, Star+ and ESPN+. And we’re not done growing.
We are looking for a senior product manager who will shape the strategy for our content recommendations algorithms. These algorithms are woven throughout the different Disney streaming applications and are core to the magic we create for users. Whether it’s readiness for new markets, the launch of new content, experimenting with cutting edge technology, or assessing the base signals we use, this product manager will drive our thinking. This is a position that will have an incredibly broad impact on the customer experience across multiple applications.
This is an ideal role for someone with a history working on complex services. You should be able to balance pragmatism and vision to achieve meaningful results amongst a rapidly growing and changing user base.
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA, San Francisco, CA or Seattle, WA
- Lead as the senior PM in the
algorithm space, driving all-up strategy for how we build an algorithmic approach for all Disney’s streaming apps which balances the need for centralization against the value of app-specific implementations.
- Deliver business-driving improvements to our algorithms for content recommendations. We are a team that can (and does) nerd out about algorithms, but who also lands huge business impact in the form of increased subscriber watch hours and churn reduction.
- Explore, socialize and execute on new algorithmic investments and surfaces across the system.
- Assess new investments with the critical lens of an investor. We have limited bandwidth and plenty of opportunities to improve. What do we do first?
- 4+ years of experience as a product manager or highly relevant direct experience (i.e. working as a data scientist or engineering in the personalization space)
- Experience in working on complex services
- Data-focused mindset and proven ability to use data to explore all aspects of a problem
- Familiarity with machine learning fundamentals
- Clear, logical communication skills and an ability to adjust your style based upon your audience -- from non-technical to research PhDs.
- Passion for TV
- Curiosity -- in this space, we often find ourselves reading the latest research paper or playing with a new proof-of-concept.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.