Software Development Engineer in TestApply NowApply Later Job ID 907204BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted May 18, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
Disney Streaming’s Services and Media Engineering QA team is seeking a Software Development Engineer in Test who will be an extraordinary addition to our team!
We are building next generation of APIs for backend services that power playback services for our video streaming products and as an SDET at Disney Streaming, you will play an integral role in defining test strategies, building test automation, investigating/reporting issues, and collaborating across the Engineering teams to release quality software with high confidence in the pursuit of delighting our subscribers. You will be contributing to delivering service platform enhancements to our Disney+, ESPN+, Star+, and Hulu products. You will set up and enhance test automation frameworks and engineer efficient, scalable, and maintainable test infrastructure.
The right person has a strong attention to detail, is intellectually curious, takes accountability and ownership for the definition and delivery of high quality work. The right person also demonstrates a strong sense of collaboration in their work and professional relationships, clearly and thoughtfully communicates in their areas of expertise, identifies problems and acts strategically to craft a solution, and empathizes with and advocates for the needs of customers. If you are someone who effectively moves between high-level concepts and low-level execution, then this is a great role for you!
- Collaborate daily with software developers, product owners, and program managers to define requirements and ensure testability
- Develop scalable automated testing strategies and coordinate feedback from your collaborators
- Define/implement/maintain test automation for the Playback Services QA team
- Introduce effective quality methodologies to the QA organization’s automation strategies and expand/improve existing automation
- Collaborate closely with partner teams to understand upstream/downstream dependencies and to facilitate development of integration/end-to-end tests
- Contribute to the release process for the Playback Services team
- Diagnose/debug/perform root cause analysis for issues in production/test environments, report defects, champion/drive/advocate for their resolution, and provide visibility/transparency into the value of your work
- Propose regression tests to discover recurring issues and drive the tests to 'automation complete'
- Create/maintain test data for automated testing and navigate through databases to analyse issues
- Identify gaps and drive improvements in engineering methodologies to ensure industry-leading system quality and team efficiency
- Apply software engineering best practices and agile approaches.
- Bachelor’s degree or the foreign equivalent in Computer Science or a closely related field with 2+ years of progressive experience in a software testing (SDET) and/or software development (SDE) occupation, including automated/manual testing of backend services and REST APIs
- Proficient in object-oriented design and expertise with one of the following programming languages: Java,C#, Kotlin, Scala, or similar
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Knowledge of at least one backend test automation frameworks (E.g. REST Assured, Karate, pytest, etc.)
- Experience working with version control software (E.g. GitHub) and issue/project tracking software (E.g. Jira)
- Experience working with software development/debugging tools (E.g. Postman, curl, Chrome dev tools)
- Experienced in defining/executing/maintaining test cases and experience with building out test plans for backend services
- Some experience with SQL queries, stored procedures, and data analysis/validation
- Experience with Jenkins or similar build tools
- Good understanding of quality-related agile methodologies and tools and validated experience using both during the SDLC
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (E.g. whiteboarding/diagramming system behavior)
- Proven experience demonstrating analytical skills, reporting, ownership, customer focus, and collaboration
- Experience with Scala, especially with testing libraries like munit or ScalaTest
- Experience with DynamoDB, EC2, and Kinesis
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Spinnaker, and continuous integration/delivery systems
- Experience developing advanced mocking mechanisms (E.g. rule-based proxies and dummy-services)
- Experience with chaos testing tools like ToxiProxy
- Experience with performance testing tools like Gatling or Locust
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.