Sr Media Streaming Engineer – Video QualityApply NowApply Later Job ID 940692BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted May 11, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- Investigate audio/video quality degradation and OTT streaming playback issues
- Perform encoding experiments to determine areas for improvement
- Establish Best Practices for assessing video quality across a diverse catalog
- long-form and short-form content e.g. ads, bumpers, feature, credits etc.
- content types e.g. animation, action, sports etc. and,
- workflows e.g. Live-Streaming and VOD
- Curate video test reels and patterns for calibration, experimentation and testing
*Open to remote candidates but candidates from the Los Angeles area are preferred*
- Research new video analysis and encoding technologies
- Design and implement procedures for assessing video quality
- Conduct video quality experiments on existing content
- Contribute to optimization of video processing
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent, Masters preferred
- In-depth knowledge of digital image/video processing theory and practice
- Expertise with video compression standards such as ProResHQ, H.264, HEVC, AV1, etc.
- Solid understanding of video processing algorithms such as scaling, noise reduction, tone mapping, etc.
- Knowledge of IMAX, HDR10 and Dolby Vision high dynamic range masters and metadata
- Knowledge of video quality metrics such as PSNR, SSIM, VMAF and CAMBI
- Experienced in assessing visual quality impairments using both objective metrics and subjective test methodologies
- Strong ability to relate compression artifacts to video stream types (SDR vs. HDR) and encoding parameters (Qp, CRF etc.)
- Understanding of display backlight technology, and experience in fine-tuning control modules for optimized picture quality
- Understanding of HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) with the Common Media Application Format (CMAF container) and Adaptive Bit-Rate (ABR) switching technique
- Excellent problem solving, and debugging skills
- Programming and scripting skills in Python
- Attention to detail
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work constructively within a large organization
Additional Information:The Media Delivery team at Disney Streaming Services is responsible for the entire audio and video encoding supply chain from content acquisition to delivery, consisting of agile and responsive teams of technicians that perform the daily processes and procedures of our live and on-demand video streaming products. The department’s responsibilities provide round-the-clock support for these products, ensuring proper functionality across all platforms and front-end playback scenarios. The Media Delivery Operations team provides operational and procedural support for our partner products, including system health monitoring and incident management, live and VOD streaming media orchestration, and cross-team communications.
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.