Staff Back-End Engineer (Ad Tech)
Santa Monica, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 772488BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Jan. 22, 2021
Job Summary:The DMED Ad Platform integrates with thousands of advertisers, with over a billion
ads served per month. Before being served to a viewer, each one of these ads
goes through a sophisticated workflow involving sales and planning, targeting,
trafficking, and quality control, to deliver maximum value to our advertisers while
maintaining an engaging experience for viewers.
Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, we captivate and
connect viewers with the stories they love, and are looking for people who are
passionate about redefining advertising through collaboration, innovation,
unconventional thinking, stellar execution, committed to lifelong learning and
improving while still embracing fun. You’ll be joining a talented team that works
interdependently toward aggressive goals to deliver technically sound solutions. We
work to ensure that we share both accountability and credit as a team.
Our Ad Serving teams specialize in the delivery of ad campaigns, and ensures the
pacing of each campaign is healthy and daily delivery goals are met. Major focus
areas for the team are; to ensure the ad is delivered to the right set of users,
optimize for brand and industry to minimize ad fatigue, innovate pacing and ad
selection algorithms, solve for Dynamic Ad Insertion on Live Streams, and to
measure and report on Total Supply and monetizable opportunities for ad delivery.
In addition to these core ad serving capabilities, the Ad Serving teams implement
new ad formats and experiences focusing on viewer-first, less disruptive advertising
As a member of our team, you will apply your knowledge and skills to help us
deliver scalable, performant, maintainable, and testable software.
On a daily basis you should bring;
- a willingness and desire to collaborate on all things
- knowledge of system design and implementation best practices to guide and mentor
- demonstrated ownership for the projects delivered by your new team and department
- a passion for mentoring, learning, and adapting to a very dynamic and fast paced environment
- a proven ability to work with product teams to translate requirements into well-defined technical implementations, as well as the ability to define technical and operational metrics to measure system health
- a keen eye for potential optimizations and/or enhancements to our services
- your unique view and experience
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong programming (Java/C#/C++ or other related programming languages)
- Great communication, collaboration skills and a strong teamwork ethic with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strive for excellence
- Experience with non-relational database technologies e.g. DynamoDB
- Experience with Redis and/or MemCache
- Experience with Apache Kafka and/or Kinesis
- AWS or any other cloud platform
- Experience with Terraform, Docker and Kubernetes
- BS or MS in Computer Science/Engineering or relevant work experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.