Technical Program Manager, Media Engineering
Santa Monica, California, United States / New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 901681BR Location Santa Monica, California, United States / New York, New York, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Apr. 11, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
Job Summary:Media Engineering builds the software and systems that prepare media content and metadata for the Disney Streaming platform - providing the best possible playback experience to our viewers.
Media Engineering handles audio, video, and metadata content from ingest through publish - for normalization, processing, and packaging - supporting operator tools and automation for a scalable workflow. We build logic across players and back-end services to measure, control, and optimize playback across our stack.
Our combined Disney and Hulu team is looking for hardworking team players to join the Media Engineering team, who will thrive upon the legacy of Disney and Hulu, embrace unconventional thinking, and who are passionate about contributing to The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer (DTC) experience through strategic hard work and determination.
As a Cross-Domain TPM within the Media Engineering organization of Disney Streaming, you will be responsible for seeing the successful execution of technical initiatives that involve the multiple domains of Media Engineering. You will work with dedicated Team/Domain TPMs to ensure that the overall success of the program for Media Engineering and Disney Streaming is at the forefront.
You will be the point person responsible for representing the concerns of Media Engineering during enterprise initiatives. Therefore, you should be intimately familiar with every domain within Media Engineering and be able to understand and express their areas of involvement, interests, and concerns to the other organizations of Disney Streaming and to DMED.
In addition to overseeing the planning & execution of initiatives, it’s also your responsibility to provide visibility and reporting to senior stakeholders and enterprise-level program managers. The video streaming industry is constantly evolving, so it’s imperative to be able to work in a fast-paced environment, where the abilities to pivot and deliver despite ambiguity are key.
- Understand the vision and goals of Media Engineering and be able to cut through ambiguity to help drive the roadmaps for ME domains
- Coordinate with product stakeholders to define feature requirements, then collaborate with software architects and technical leads to determine how to build the software to meet said requirements
- Oversee the successful execution of technical initiatives for Media Engineering across all phases of software development in order to bring new features and functionality to Disney’s streaming services
- Identify, assess and mitigate risks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs balancing the business needs versus constraints
- Represent Media Engineering domains to other organizations in Disney Streaming and DMED
- Be a communication powerhouse to ensure the Disney Streaming Organization knows what Media Engineering is working on.
- 2+ years of experience in software program management or software development
- Proven experience of completing technical initiatives from inception to deployment
- Ability to manage concurrent projects
- Ability to quickly pivot and react to constantly changing variables
- Ability to interact with a diverse set of technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively with people distributed across geographical locations
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective written and oral communication skills
- Strong experience in Agile software development
- Strong experience with Jira and Confluence or similar platforms
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS or a related technical field or equivalent relevant experience
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.