Backend Java Developer Internship- Seattle, Fall 2019
Seattle, WA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 676225BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 05/06/2019
Job Summary:On the Messaging team, we get to work with all the different segments of The Walt Disney Company and bring cutting edge technologies to them at enterprise scale. A mix of senior and junior developers, we strive to stay ahead of the ever changing landscape of messaging (whether it be email, push notifications, or messaging to cars) while maintaining a strong work-life balance.
This fall, we are looking for an intern to assist on our multichannel messaging platform, which is responsible for delivering over 259,000 messages per second to our fan, viewer, and guest devices around the world. This system powers alerts such as ESPN.com breaking news alerts, ESPN Fantasy Updates, My Disney Experience Alerts in the Parks and so many more! The platform is written in Java and is focused on guest security, performance, and scalability.
Responsibilities:The focus of the internship will be on improving the feature space of this system while maintaining or increasing overall performance and scalability. As a member of the team you will be responsible for:
- Participating in Sprint Planning and tracking work items
- Writing code in Java (and possibly other languages)
- Working as a member of a larger team
- Self Directing (Some tasks may only have high level descriptions and we expect you to figure out what needs doing)
- Asking questions when you cannot find the answers you need
- Basics of Java
- Completed at least one Data Structures or Algorithms course
- Desire to work on a backend system
- Ability to work on a team and understanding of team-based dynamics
- Completed/Taking a Networking Course
- Knowledge of AWS service offering
- Knowledge of NoSQL Database technologies such as MongoDB
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class, or be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months at time of application, or be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program
- Junior or Senior of Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, Informatics, Math, or related degree achieved or in progress
- The approximate dates of this internship are September - December 2019
- Candidate must be available to work full time hours (approximately 40 hours per week) for the duration of the internship
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.