Director, Software Engineering - Consumer Identity Services
Seattle, WA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 645759BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 25/03/2019
The Director of Software Engineering is responsible for leading a software engineering organization that builds and operates a portfolio of mission-critical consumer facing identity services used across The Walt Disney Company, including ESPN, Walt Disney World, ABC, Star Wars and Fox. These services are responsible over 300 million guest and fan accounts and billions of transactions per year.
As a senior leader in the DTCI Data Platforms Organization, this role requires experience in building and operating mission critical shared services, active collaboration, agility, financial planning, technical excellence and the successful delivery of technology solutions. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of execution, service ownership, technical leadership, innovation, relationship management and be able to demonstrate the skills to effectively and positively influence others.
This includes, but is not limited to, the following key deliverables:
- Provide technical leadership to the engineering teams to ensure development of scalable, performant, supportable, secure and rapidly evolving platforms and services
- Manage development teams to deliver high quality solutions, while managing the teams’ capacity and deployment across projects to optimize impact to the business
- Partner with Product Management to define deliverables and roadmaps, and execute on delivery of those commitments
- Manage engineering teams’ budgets, headcount and related planning activities
- Providing mentoring and growth opportunities for the managers and engineers in the organization
- Lead continuous improvement across all areas of the engineering lifecycle
- Provide technical leaderships for the engineering teams building and operating tier 1 identity and related services for The Walt Disney Company
- Manage and mentor teams of software engineers and software engineering managers, including a mix of full time and contractors.
- Drive operational and functional integrity of the services: meeting OLA’s and SLA’s; continuous improvement in quality and performance; developing, monitoring and reporting on key operational and performance metrics.
- Ensure Software Development teams adhere to DTCI and TWDC operating, security and governance standards and practices
- Collaborate closely with Product Management, Data Governance and other peer groups to develop and deliver on the organization’s roadmap.
- Influence technical direction through partnerships and relationships across The Walt Disney Company
- Foster collaborative relationships with technology leadership throughout DTCI, TWDC, and with key suppliers to influence decision-making and accomplish business objectives
- Lead hands-on evaluations of solutions
- Oversee resource management including assignments, potential resource constraints, identifying conflicts and limitations, and developing solutions to address, including managing a shared application delivery service team
- Instill and foster an environment of innovative solution development
- Provide strategic leadership, direction, and support to the Software Engineering team, including on-going performance management and learning and development options
- Align solutions and capabilities with business priorities, and effectively lead teams through implementation of solutions, maximizing overall capacity
- Provide guidance and recommendations to Executive Leadership and direct reports regarding trends, products, frameworks, applications, and provide concise summaries of findings and potential impacts on the business.
- Integrate business initiatives and technology to innovate and achieve a competitive advantage
- Oversee on-going project oversight and management support including troubleshooting, maintenance, modifications, and issue resolution
- Provide timely and accurate information on solution and request status
- Interface with varying levels of management; engage in significant contact with DTCI and other Disney segments to identify overlaps, minimize redundancy, and lead successful application of projects
- Forecast, develop, and maintain expectations with regards to budgeting process
- Work on special projects and presentations as required
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in management of software development teams
- First-hand experience designing & developing high-scale web services leveraging cloud capabilities (AWS, GCP or Azure)
- Passion for technology and willingness to engage at a deep technical level to solve problems
- Ability to define technical requirements and deliver quality products
- Experience with offshore staffing, contractors, and temporary staffing requirements
- Experience delivering software products in a governed environment (e.g., GDPR, CCPA)
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly assimilate and summarize information from disparate sources
- Strong leadership experience in supporting organizational change within a large and diverse organization
- Experience with implementation of complex applications and integration projects within a large company
- Intellectually curious and open to challenging the status quo
- Ability to motivate matrixed teams to produce quality results within challenging time frames and ongoing change
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills with ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization (e.g. balancing understanding details with senior executive level communication)
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Proactive style with a demonstrated ability to take ownership of tasks and see them through to completion
- Embraces working and operating in a highly collaborative and communicative environment.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Proven experience with forecasting, developing and maintaining expectations with regards to budgeting process
- Excellent orientation to both the details and the bigger picture
- Embraces teamwork; shares ideas/methods to improve performance, while demonstrating the ability to work autonomously as needed
- Proven success with regards to leading the processes required to perform hands-on technology and platforms evaluations.
- Excellent listener and negotiator, possessing good judgment and business acumen with the willingness and determination to operate effectively within a challenging, dynamic and rapidly changing and growing environment
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, or a similar field.
- Advance degree a plus
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.