Director, Software Engineering
Seattle, Washington, United States; Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 837191BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States; Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Aug. 11, 2021
Job Summary:The Director of Engineering will be responsible for building, leading and managing a high performing team of manager, leads and software engineers, designing & engineering a variety of complex hosting systems & platforms for The Walt Disney Company. Hosting Engineering uses software engineering to architect, design, automate, monitor, and build hosting platforms at scale. This includes operating and engineering software with close business segment alignment to deliver platforms through efficient, effective and resilient architectures. The Hosting Engineering role entails talented engineers that are focused on improving quality through a data driven approach: instrumentation, automation, functional/unit testing.
This executive is responsible for clearly communicating a vision to the team that defines the team’s purpose, ownership, contribution and commitment to Disney excellence and a business enabling DevOps culture. This person directly oversees, mentors and develops line managers, team leads and engineers on technical leadership, software engineering, agile project management, design engineering, architecture, problem analysis, customer service, optimization and collaboration.
- Oversee technical analysis, cost and effort estimation, production environment platform/system design, architectural fit and compliance, resource schedules, delivery milestones, collaboration, and overall production environment quality.
- Partner closely with business and technology executives in delivering systems which meet and exceed business objectives
- Setting strategic vision, owning and resolving issues that impact design, product success, or address future concepts, products, or technologies
Basic Qualifications:Leadership Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal, business development and communication with a demonstrated ability to work well with engineering, creative and marketing leaders, including the ability to thoughtfully present to senior executives.
- Career management and setting the operational direction for areas of ownership for team
- Proven ability to build and motivate a team to achieve well-communicated expectations.
- Meet with segment technology leaders, stakeholders, partners, and customers to help solve business problems using new and established technology platforms, tools and methodologies. Promote collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Ensures new technical products and services are evaluated and in alignment with these standards and architectural patterns.
- Identify key platform technology gaps and close them by adoption, buy, or build as appropriate working closely with other engineering and infrastructure leaders and teams in the scoping, evaluation, integration, and adoption of new solutions.
- Ensure proper lifecycle management such as version lifecycle, incident and problem management, support and adoption, and budget management.
- Ability to synthesize robust and cost-effective technical solutions against customer requirements providing buy versus build decision making
- Must be detail oriented, self-organized, and capable of simultaneously tracking multiple issues of varying complexity
- Ability to cope with high workload in a pressured robust environment, and to adapt quickly to change business priorities and initiatives.
- Sound organizational, communication and interpersonal skills with clear, mature ability to maintain a clam and professional demeanor under pressure.
- Strong ability to modulate style and operate at a low level up to a strategic level
- Demonstrated ability to simplify complex, multi-tiered technology environments
- A proven track record of execution, the candidate must be able to deliver the technical roadmap(s) by defining a clear vision of desired outcomes tied to business needs.
- Ability to identify and marshal resources (people, funding, and support) to get projects initiated and completed.
- Ability to lead a significant transformation in the business technology platforms and technical talent.
- Proven ability to complete projects and achieve results in an ambiguous work environment.
- Ability to partner with a vast array of supplier and vendors to deliver on commitments and programs.
- 10 years of experience leading engineering teams responsible for building and deploying custom software products or services
- 3-5 years engineering cloud, container, and serverless products and services
- Detailed knowledge of core internet protocols including, but not limited to TCP/IP, DNS and HTTP
- Excellent written and verbal communications, proven ability to develop and deliver presentations geared for Senior and Executive Management
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and proven experience managing teams in highly matrixed organizations
- Understanding of programing languages such as Python, Go, C++, Ruby, or JAVA
- Proven ability to manage budgets
- Experience with cloud application development platforms, tools and utilities
- Understanding of configuration & automation management frameworks such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, & Terraform
- Experiencing managing multiple engineering projects across public and private cloud solutions.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.