Manager, Product DesignApply NowApply Later Job ID 934135BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Mar. 08, 2022
The Principal Designer is a design leader who elevates the practice of Design by modeling high impact work, consulting on projects across our portfolio, and mentoring more junior team members. It can also be a people leadership role with direct reports to help scale your impact.
The right candidate will have extensive experience leading long-term, complex projects from inception to launch (and data-informed iteration). You'll need to be an effective cross-functional problem solver who demonstrates extreme ownership and is comfortable presenting to executive stakeholders. Having an ecosystem-centered mindset will help you succeed in this role, as the products we design affect multiple areas of Disney Streaming’s business.
- Lead a team of 2-4 designers, ranging from mid-career to Lead level.
- Coach the team through product ideation and development using a mature, modern design process.
- Facilitate the successful delivery of design from concept to deployment.
- Design complex, multi platform interfaces using Sketch, Abstract, Zeplin and Invision.
- Lead as a subject matter expert for the rest of the design team, providing design guidance, documenting and socializing best practices
- Provide thought leadership to develop the right design strategy, and use UX methodologies to bring value to the user and the business
- You are the domain expert for all designs owned by your team. You can speak crisply to the current and planned designs of the team's projects.
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of device platform best practices and guidelines.
- Collaborate with peers in research, product, engineering, and marketing on cross-functional projects from start to finish.
- Keeping up with industry trends, you’ll identify areas for improvement for the overall product design team covering people, process, and practice. Partner with the DesignOps team in creating an action plan.
- 12+ years experience as a designer working on consumer products.
- Experience leading and managing a team of designers through at least one full product development cycle.
- A high level of creative craftsmanship, translating strategies, theories and Design principles into inspiring concepts and successful executions.
- A strong interest in visual storytelling, and an innate curiosity about people and their relationship to entertainment.
- The discipline to prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short and long-term needs, adept at removing roadblocks and rebalancing as needed.
- A growth mindset - you see opportunity in ambiguity.
- Comfort in scaling and as needed, ability to recruit talent that meet and exceed the DSS talent bar.
- A sense of determination - leading product development with new ideas based on a strong sense of our customers, their goals, our content, and our value proposition.
- An ease in presenting design work to a variety of audiences.
- A passion for evolving the design practice – its people, processes, and tools.
- Experience with various design tools - Sketch, Abstract, Invision, prototyping tools.
Additional Information:Disney Streaming comprises the leading premium streaming services offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Disney Streaming has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV and Movies. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about redefining the industry through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Disney Streaming life is all about.
This role can be located near any of our offices: New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Santa Monica or Glendale. We are currently remote but moving to a flexible hybrid model when it’s safe to return to offices.
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.