Principal Software Engineer
Seattle, Washington, United States; Santa Monica, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 781823BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States; Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Apr. 06, 2021
Job Summary:Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams together into one global organization. DMED is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales advertising, data and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company’s content engines. DMED also manages operations of the Company’s streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+Hotstar; and domestic broadcast and cable television networks.
The DMED Ad Platform integrates with thousands of advertisers, with over a billion ads served per month. Before being served to a viewer, each one of these ads goes through a sophisticated workflow involving sales and planning, targeting, trafficking, and quality control, to deliver maximum value to our advertisers while maintaining an engaging experience for viewers.
Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, we captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and are looking for people who are passionate about redefining advertising through collaboration, innovation, unconventional thinking, stellar execution, committed to lifelong learning and improving while still embracing fun. You’ll be joining a talented team that works interdependently toward aggressive goals to deliver technically sound solutions. We work to ensure that we share both accountability and credit as a team.
Responsibilities:Our Ad Serving teams specialize in the delivery of ad campaigns, and ensures the pacing of each campaign is healthy and daily delivery goals are met. Major focus areas for the team are; to ensure the ad is delivered to the right set of users, optimize for brand and industry to minimize ad fatigue, innovate pacing and ad selection algorithms, solve for Dynamic Ad Insertion on Live Streams, and to measure and report on Total Supply and monetizable opportunities for ad delivery. In addition to these core ad serving capabilities, the Ad Serving teams implement new ad formats and experiences focusing on viewer-first, less disruptive advertising solutions.
As a member of our team, you will apply your knowledge and skills to help us design and deliver scalable, performant, maintainable, and testable software with an incremental rollout to production.
On a daily basis you should bring:
- a willingness and desire to collaborate on all things
- expert in system design and implementation for cross-region systems and failover, as well as best practices to guide and mentor
- demonstrated ownership and execution of projects delivered by your team and department
- a passion for mentoring, learning, and adapting to a very dynamic and fast paced environment
- a proven ability to work with product teams to translate requirements into well-defined technical specs, as well as the ability to define technical and operational metrics to measure system health
- a keen eye for optimizations and/or enhancements to our services
- your knowledge on recent technologies and find efficient ways to apply those to our services
- your unique view and experience
- 10+ years of software engineering experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong programming (Java/C#/C++ or other related programming languages)
- Excellent communication, collaboration skills and a strong teamwork ethic with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strive for excellence
- Proven design and implementation skills in a highly distributed and highly available ecosystem of services
- Experience with non-relational database technologies e.g. DynamoDB
- Experience with Redis and/or MemCache
- Experience with Apache Kafka and/or Kinesis
- AWS or any other cloud platform
- Experience with Terraform, Docker and Kubernetes
- BS or MS in Computer Science/Engineering or relevant work experience
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.