Senior Software Engineer, Android
Seattle, Washington, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 964581BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Apr. 25, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
Job Summary:Working at Disney for the mobile team is unlike anything else. We’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with entertainment, sports, news, politics, comics, and games. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary. We develop new features from start to finish that millions of fans interact with on a daily basis. We invest in you to be your best. Feel the excitement of showing off your work to friends and family on some of the most heavily used apps in the marketplace.
Responsibilities:This is a hands-on engineering position developing mobile and ott applications for the Android Operating system in Java/Kotlin. In this role, you will work with a cross-functional team of Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, Web Developers, and Content Creators to conceptualize and develop world-class Disney apps. Based on your experience, you will apply technical expertise to manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables and will be responsible to design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions. You will architect reusable solutions that are shared across all DMED apps.
The DMED Mobile Engineering team develops some of the most downloaded and successful Android apps in the marketplace, including the ESPN app, the Fantasy app, The Marvel Unlimited App, ABC News App, ABC Entertainment App, and the National Geographic app.
- Up to 5+ years hands-on professional development experience with Android on all OS versions
- Experience working a significant consumer app that is currently available in marketplace
- Strong understanding of OO design patterns and concepts
- A sound understanding of HTTP and REST-style web services
- Demonstrated ability to design and build dynamic multi-threaded mobile apps.
- Solid understanding of Android app development life cycle including Google Play and Amazon App Store compliance policies and submissions requirements
- Ability to collaborate in a small, productive development team as well as ability to work independently
- Experience with unit test frameworks and continuous integration systems
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; can effectively articulate complex ideas and influence others through well-reasoned explanations
- Write efficient, reliable, and maintainable code whether implementing architectural improvements, user-facing features, or fixing defects
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues, problems, and errors encountered across our various platforms
- Analyze and optimize application code for efficiency, reliability and performance
- Understand product architecture, assisting the Software Architects as necessary
- Manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Work with minimal technical supervision and supplemental engineering support
- Embrace a highly collaborative team that rewards quality code and effective communication
- Operate as a resource to less experienced Software Engineers, providing an open learning environment for cross-team knowledge sharing
- BS, BA, or advanced degree in computer science, engineering or its equivalent
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.