Senior Software Engineer
Seattle, Washington, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 808287BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jun. 21, 2021
Job Summary:The Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) segment’s mission is to deliver The Walt Disney Company’s unparalleled storytelling to consumers in the evolving ways fans and families around the world prefer to experience our content. Within DMED, the Data, Algorithms, Tech, Analytics (D.A.T.A.) group builds trusted data solutions, algorithms and actionable insights to empower Disney to impact and deliver business outcomes that delight our customers. This position is within the Custom Reporting team within the Tech area of the D.A.T.A. group.
This senior level software engineer will serve as one of our engineering pillars on D.A.T.A. Tech’s Custom Reporting team helping us pivot to a SaaS solutioning approach. Primary areas of focus will include 1) creating a Custom Visualization Platform based on technology to be componentized from existing Quantified and Analytics Reporting Console (ARC) custom solutions, 2) creating a Portfolio Insights reporting solution, and 3) implementing an API Platform solution to power the Custom Visualization Platform and other Disney solutions.
The Quantified solution includes a series of high-profile managed dashboards designed to provide DMED leadership with a standardized and automated view into the performance of the DMED segment (Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu services) across financials, subscriptions, content pipeline, viewership engagement, affiliate sales and ad sales. The ARC solution provides a simple way to understand subscribers and their engagement with content on Disney+ and includes analytics for content engagement, brand performance, homepage interactions, and near-real time subscriber and content spotlights. The Custom Visualization Platform is envisioned to be the “glue” between existing and anticipated web and mobile applications, such as the DMED D.A.T.A. Portal, and underlying API Platform and data sources such as Snowflake and Amazon S3.
Partner with our Design, Product, Program, Data Science, Data and Infrastructure teams and full-stack engineers to mature the technology, architecture, patterns and practices used by the Custom Reporting team and make our solutions and systems premier destinations and components for enabling DMED analytics and insights.
You will draw on your full-stack software engineering experience with modern UI libraries/frameworks, such as React, Highcharts and Storybook, and server-side Python and Java programming to create scalable, maintainable and performant custom solutions.
- Lead architecture, design and implementation
- Consult on integrations with other teams as well as our business partners
- Drive best practices and standardization across engineers
- Drive quality for the team with a focus on making the right technology choices
- 5+ years of relevant software development experience
- 2+ years of cloud application architecture and engineering (AWS a plus)
- Ability to lead, collaborate and drive organizational change
- Familiarity with various CI/CD methodologies and implementation strategies (TeamCity, GitLab and/or Jenkins a plus)
- Hands-on experience with performance testing techniques such as performance modeling, establishing baselines, services monitoring, and profiling system performance
- Thorough understanding of React.js, Redux and its core principles
- 3+ years proficiency in modern web development around Single Page Application (SPA) development
- A strong background in functional programming (React patterns a plus)
- A strong understanding of the design principles and patterns for Node.js
- A strong understanding of Python programming (knowledge of Gunicorn/Sanic a plus)
- A strong understanding of relational databases and SQL queries (knowledge of NoSQL databases a plus)
- A strong understanding and use of asynchronous API patterns
- An understanding of AWS CloudFormation and CI/CD structures
- Knowledge of containerized application development based on Docker images
- Able to define, document and communicate front-end, middleware and back-end architectures
- Clear communicator (written and verbal)
- Ability to write test plans and test cases, and to communicate bugs to engineers and other stakeholders
- Ability to focus on deadlines and deliverables
- Knowledge and understanding of Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), software development and agile development/testing practices and methodologies
- Knowledge of common performance issues and ability to use logs, monitoring tools, and work with developers to determine root causes across distributed components
- Ability to set architectural direction for assigned unit of work or more broadly when needed
- Ability to work and participate in a team with open and collaborative style of communications
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a cross-functional team
- BS or equivalent degree in Computer Science
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.