Software Engineering Manager
Seattle, WA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 715824BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Nov. 15, 2019
Job Summary:The Walt Disney Company (TWDC) has a diverse portfolio of companies with different needs in a global enterprise that stretches from movies, television, news, sports, games, theme parks, resorts and a cruise line and a variety of other businesses.
The Disney Enterprise Technology (ETech) mission is to deliver technology solutions that align to business unit strategies while enabling enterprise efficiency and promoting cross-company collaborative innovation. The ETech organization drives competitive advantage by enhancing our consumer experiences, enabling business growth, and advancing operational excellence. ETech is guided by the principles of being service focused and easy to do business with, being biased for action and innovation, and being efficient through leverage and continuous improvement.
Build and Delivery Engineering is an automation team for ETECH Engineering Services. The Build and Delivery Engineering team is responsible for determining gaps and limitations in the current build and deployment process and provide solutions. The team maintains build pipelines, deployment pipelines, testing tools, and other services. The team interfaces with Dev teams, QA teams, Operations teams and more to build and extend tools to support the organization.
Responsibilities:This Manager will work closely with peer Engineering Managers, Technical Architects, Software Engineers, Test Engineers, and Systems Engineers under the guidance of the Director, Engineering Shared Services to define and own technical direction for build and delivery pipeline architecture and operations and to align with key internal and business segment DevSecOps initiatives.
This Manager is required to demonstrate sound technical leadership and excellent interpersonal skills. S/he will play a vital role in designing, enhancing, implementing and scaling integrations that use a variety of both internal and external software services. S/he will think strategically when selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. S/he will excel in the areas of integration, scalability, build vs buy decisions, and operating cost optimization. S/he will be adept at influencing change/improvement in the organization through technical prowess, leadership skills and relationship skills. S/he will be responsible to instill standards and processes that ensure high confidence in the quality of code released.
Basic Qualifications:Leadership / Guidance
- Aligns and leads teams to achieve desired business outcomes.
- Leads with practicality and wisdom in the midst of competing priorities and diverse personalities.
- Operates as a highly independent and dynamic leader.
- Successfully manages 3rd party vendors and contractors.
- Accountable for driving delivery of highly-complex integrations from start to finish.
- Strong technical leadership and ability to command respect at all levels of the organization.
- Experience supporting build and delivery automation and operations that are structured to promote high availability, scalability with a high speed of delivery.
- Experience implementing innovative solutions that adhere to DevSecOps architectural goals and principles.
- Experience with working with high volume web systems or large transaction client-server systems.
- Experience reviewing DevSecOps technologies and products for their applicability to specific projects or overall engineering needs and is able to compare various solutions to select the one most appropriate for the project and company.
- Utilizes highly developed communication skills to achieve stated business outcomes.
- Ensures regular, effective communication happens with team members and cross-functional resources.
- Effectively uses range of communication tools (various social media tools, Slack, Yammer, Backlot, Office 365, Confluence, IM, phone, email, VTC, and more)
- 8 years minimum work experience with relevant technologies and with designing, implementing, administering, and supporting build and delivery systems
- 2+ years experience leading engineering teams
- 2+ years experience in DevSecOps architecture
- Experience maintaining production build systems for multiple, large software projects
- Experience with Programming Groovey, Ruby, Bash
- Operating Systems: Expert knowledge and experience with Linux
- Expert knowledge and experience of build automation frameworks, preferably Apache Maven
- Proficiency with a revision control system, preferably Git; GitHub, GitLab
- Experience with a continuous integration systems, preferably GitLab CICD or Jenkins
- Experience with deploying large-scale, highly-available web services, preferably with GitLab CICD or Chef
- Experience with containers; i.e. Docker
- Knowledge of cloud tools; i.e. Kubernates, Terraform, Cloud Formation
- Knowledge of static code analysis tools
- Proficient with Defect Tracking Tools and Metrics; i.e. JIRA
- Experience managing dependencies in complex software projects
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.