Sr. Technical Program Manager – Data PlatformsApply Now Apply Later Job ID 641442BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Mar. 13, 2019
Job Summary:DTCI Technology Operations is seeking a Sr Technical Program Manager, Data Platforms to ensure projects/programs are defined, tracked and communicated in a concise, consistent and effective manner. They incorporate effective change, risk and issue management controls. They review and understand partner portfolio business cases and are responsible for organizing all projects/programs within the portfolio(s) of both internally developed and third party provided technologies to ensure on-time delivery, within budget and meeting business objectives.
The Sr Technical Program Manager will help ensure the successful completion and implementation of key strategic initiatives through identifying, tracking, managing and resolving project issues/risk in a timely manner. In addition, the role is responsible for communicating, preparing and disseminating management reports including status reports, roadmaps and materials for steering committees and stakeholder forums.
The Sr Technical Program Manager assists the Sr Manager, Program Management in running all aspects of their assigned program within the Data Platforms technology portfolio. Programs may include Consumer Data Analytics, Data Platforms, Identity Management, etc. The Sr Technical Program Manager will place an emphasis on enabling high team performance and effective delivery of high quality services through ongoing monitoring of program commitments, continuous operational and financial improvements, and effective collaboration and open communication with all stakeholders.
The ability to manage multiple projects and collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the Company will be critical to success. A successful candidate will have a deep understanding of consumer data technology, and leverage this knowledge to identify new opportunities to drive growth.
Develop, evangelize and maintain an evolving multi-year program/project roadmap that aligns with DTCI Technology goals and capabilities, Data Platforms strategies and TWDC’s strategic priorities.
Work closely with DTCI Finance partners and budget owners to plan and align project planning with the funding request process and available funds.
Work closely with DTCI legal, security, and brand partners to plan and align requirements, acceptance criteria and externally imposed milestones with the chosen solutions, features, etc.
Help define and implement portfolio management (project governance) policies and processes to support fact-based decisions on investments.
Continuously improve governance and planning capabilities by integrating optimal ways of planning and organizing, acquiring and implementing, delivering and supporting, and monitoring initiative completion and service performance.
Build trusted and effective relationships working with team members, project managers and vendors to help ensure they deliver on-time, on-budget, on-benefit and on-quality.
Reports to Sr Manager, Program Management, DTCI Technology Operations.
Works closely with DTCI Technology Operations team, DTCI Technology Data Platforms team, and Data Platforms stakeholders across the enterprise including senior executives, Sr Technical Program Managers, project managers, budget owners, service owners and domain strategy owners.
- Manage intra- and inter-team dependencies, highlight project blockers and risks and work with cross-functional teams to resolve them.
- Maintain a clear overview of project timelines (Gantt charts, Agile/Kanban boards, spreadsheets, etc.) and progress using task management tools (primarily Jira). This will include providing timely updates on the status of projects to a cross-functional audience.
- Create and maintain project documentation that is the single source of truth about a project to keep teams aligned and informed.
- Provide the required hands-on software development and project management, cross-functional coordination, and inter/intra team communications to deliver outstanding program outcomes.
- Work closely with vendors, product managers and engineering teams to get high-quality products and features through various internal and external software project release lifecycles.
- Manage project schedules, identify possible issues and clearly communicate them to project stakeholders.
- Track and manage dependencies across multiple projects; leads escalation processes to make issues visible to stakeholders and leadership; drive resolution of dependency issues through the process.
- Lead overall project stage gate review processes, through conducting readiness assessments to identifying gaps in readiness throughout the project life cycle.
- Establish project and portfolio scoring systems to evaluate and measure performance against formalized criteria.
- Present technical information in face-to-face presentations to varied audiences, including executive management, engineering, operations and marketing teams.
- Coach team members regarding unexpected variances, root causes, corrective actions/options and impacts.
- Ensure proper execution of the risk, issue and communication management.
- Continuously monitor projects/programs status and impact on customer relations.
- Collaborate with teams to refine existing methodologies and develop enhancements and changes that result in efficient, repeatable delivery.
- Partner with project teams to identify interdependencies, conflicts and risks associated with delivery.
- Implement standards, processes & practices, project status reporting and resource management methodologies that ensures projects are delivered against expectations, on schedule and on budget.
- Develop trusted partnerships with stakeholders by collaborating and delivering on common goals.
- Own overall project communications, escalate risks and manage the issue resolution process.
- Ensure that projects and priorities support partner’s strategic plans and each project is managed to ensure on-time implementation and flawless execution.
- Manage demand by working closely with all constituents to prioritize programs and projects based on business needs, resource capacity, risk exposure and interdependencies.
- Dissuade project teams from “reinventing the wheel” by being the knowledge center for best practices, processes, templates, lessons learned and historical project repository.
- Current working knowledge of Consumer Data technology components (data platforms, BI tools, analytics), principles (MDM, data governance), practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated successful program and project management experience; evidence of certified agile program management at scale strongly preferred.
- Ability to manage projects to ensure successful delivery (on time, within budget, meeting agreed upon success criteria) to establish clear goals and accountabilities.
- Ability to develop project plans, allocate resources, identify potential issues/risks and develop contingency plans.
- Thorough understanding of product and software development lifecycle processes, disciplines, procedures and tools. Strong knowledge of integrated systems lifecycle development utilizing various development models (e.g., agile, waterfall, hybrid, etc.), sometimes leveraging multiple models simultaneously, across internal/external touchpoints.
- Strong account management, client service and/or management consulting experience.
- Comfortable dealing with high-level executives, technical staff and business leads.
- Demonstrated ability in clearly articulating plans, concepts and activities to a broad/diverse audience.
- Operates effectively across multiple organizational and functional areas.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills with an overall execution orientation and high attention to detail.
- Proven experience overseeing the day-to-day activities of project teams in a complex, fast-changing global environment spanning multiple geographies/time zones.
- Experience with preparation and delivery of executive-level presentations.
- Collaborative work style.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Experience applying project management knowledge to assess complex situations, recommend options and drive team members and stakeholders towards common solutions.
- Deep understanding of how architecture and technology planning affect all elements of the planning and execution for projects.
- At least 7 years demonstrated experience leading cross-functional/matrix teams in the successful completion of assigned deliverables.
- At least 7 years of experience in a leadership position in a large complex, dynamic and technical environment.
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.