Staff Software Architect
Seattle, WA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 750437BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Feb. 28, 2020
This position within DTCI will work with delivery teams to produce technical solutions supporting the broader Data Platforms business initiatives. The solutions architect coordinates with product, development and operations teams ensuring designs and technical direction support key business goals through a hands-on approach.
This role establishes and maintains technology standards, evaluates new technologies and designs to enable business goals in the most economical, scalable, and supportable way for The Walt Disney Company. This individual is required to demonstrate sound technical architectural leadership, excellent relationship and customer facing skills, and will be playing a vital role in designing, enhancing, implementing and scaling application platforms that use a variety of both internal and external services.
Solution architects think strategically and excel in integration, scalability, build/buy decisions, and operating cost optimization. They influence improvement in the organization through technical prowess, leadership and relationship skills. This role is responsible for ensuring the Disney Identity services are well architected for scalability, longevity, security, and usability. This is a highly hands-on, highly involved, and highly visible leadership position.
- Demonstrates expertise and leadership working with business segments, product management, development and operations to architect innovative solutions that meet requirements around functionality, performance, scalability, and reliability while staying within realistic implementation schedules and adhering to best architectural principles.
- Drives technical designs to consensus and approval. Designs solutions for specific use cases that provide frameworks, interfaces and services that can be extended and reused for future requirements.
- Reviews external technologies and products for their applicability to specific project or roadmap requirements. Is able to compare various solutions and select the most appropriate technology for the project and company.
- Mentors development, operations and program team members on architecture topics (e.g., issues, directions, guidelines, etc.).
- Maintains very strong technical leadership and ability to earn respect at all levels of the organization.
- Develop proof of concepts, libraries, and sample projects to demonstrate feasibility of architectural concepts.
- 8+ years of experience in requirements analysis, design, development, testing and operation of distributed, highly-available applications with particular attention to security, scalability, high performance, and cost optimization
- Ability to contribute to, and balance delivery against, multiple projects/demands simultaneously
- Proficient software development skills and comfortable reviewing large-scale code base
- Excellent communication and relationship skills, especially the ability to articulate advanced technical topics to both technical and non-technical audiences; ability to articulate business issues/concerns with staff, peers, superiors, and outside parties (e.g. vendors, partners).
- First-hand experience with architecting and building complex high-volume web systems or large transaction client-server systems.
- First-hand experience with architecting and building complex big data systems at extremely high scale and velocity
- Experience architecting cloud-native solutions, preferably on AWS
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate plans and architectural directions to all levels of the company
- Experience with big data technology, such as NiFi, Spark, Airflow, etc.
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or other technical fields, or equivalent
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.