Staff Performance EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 627022BR Location Seattle, Washington, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Jan. 10, 2019
Job Summary:The Product Engineering team is seeking a skilled and dedicated Staff Software Engineer, Test (Performance) to join our team, supporting Performance Engineering efforts for breadth of products including (but not limited to) ESPN Fantasy Football, Tournament Challenge, abcnews.com, ESPN.com, abc.com, Unified Messaging (UM) and Content Management System (CMS). As a Staff Software Engineer, Test (Performance), this individual will lead mainly two streams – working closely with the UM team to define and execute the Performance testing coverage needs, and working with the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team, product teams and various other external development teams to aid performance efforts. This individual will act as a Performance Engineering lead aiding development of Performance strategy and Test architecture for all products.
Responsibilities:The primary focus for this Staff Software Engineer position will be the strategy, planning, examination, validation, and testing performance of software systems. Responsibilities also extend to designing, building and implementing analytics solutions around performance metrics, continuous tests that can exercise various use cases and scenarios. This also includes strong communication out to all teams of the status of testing and working closely with external development and QA teams. Details of these responsibilities are listed below:
- Define High level Performance Test strategy and Test approaches for a given feature set
- Ensure that testing is structured to promote high availability, responsiveness, scalability and with a high speed of delivery
- Validate that deliverables meet functional specifications and requirements
- Participate in sprint plan review meetings to review functional and design specs and identify performance related dependencies and risks
- Writing performance test scripts, inspecting existing tests, finding gaps in test coverage and then building out a roadmap for execution
- Resolve complex and time critical test framework issues that may adversely affect effective testing of the product, while also assisting junior team members with their work items
- Collaborate and share information/results with engineers, product managers and other stakeholders
- Understand and address the implications of design and implementation decisions on all inter connected systems
- 8+ years of relevant QA experience
- Hands on experience with performance testing techniques such as performance modeling, establishing baselines, services monitoring, and profiling system performance
- Experience with using performance tools and techniques to simulate large enterprise environments, such as Jmeter, Gatling, Blazemeter, Taurus, SOASTA CloudTest or similar tools
- Clear communicator (written and verbal); ability to write test plans and test cases, and to communicate bugs to developers and other stakeholders
- Ability to focus on deadlines and deliverables
- Knowledge and understanding of Application Lifecycle Management, Software Development and Agile Development/Testing practices and methodologies
- Knowledge of common performance issues and ability to use logs, monitoring tools, and work with developers to determine a root cause
- Ability to set architectural direction for assigned unit of work
- Ability to work and participate in a team with open and collaborative style of communications
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a cross-functional team
- Experience with Enterprise Site Reliability Engineering practices
- Experience with DevSecOps
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Management, Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Math
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.