Senior Manager, Field Operations - ABC NewsApply NowApply Later Job ID 10053643 Location Secaucus, New Jersey, United States Business ABC News Date posted Sep. 13, 2023
ABC News is seeking a Senior Manager, Field Operations, with a passion for producing and supporting high caliber live events and continuing to redefine how ABC News delivers content to viewers around the globe. This role will lead an exceptional team of technical managers and broadcast engineers who service all ABC News platforms in the field for live news events and large-scale productions. This position is on-site and based in Secaucus, NJ.
This is a highly collaborative role that integrates with key internal and external stakeholders daily. The ideal candidate should possess a wide range of knowledge and skills in field production and transmission, television technology, and engineering, with a proven ability of leading diverse teams, fostering a collaborative and inclusive culture, and investing in and developing talent. This role requires soft skills, a consultative mindset that will work effectively to support a complex and dynamic schedule of remote events, and effective leadership abilities to operate as a single field unit.
This role will report to the Executive Director, Field & Bureau Operations.
What You’ll Do:
As Senior Manager, Field Operations within ABC News, responsibilities will include leading every aspect of the Field Operations business in Secaucus, NJ. This team is the initial starting point for all ABC News coverage in the field, including breaking news. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Managing technical equipment, deployment of assets in the field, technical manager and engineering field assignments, equipment purchases, budgets, capital projects and new field technologies.
- Managing a union and non-union workforce and maintaining knowledge of collective bargaining agreements, including NABET/CWA & DGA.
- Promoting an inclusive and collaborative working environment and being a culture change agent.
- Managing multiple projects, often with competing timelines, and building strong relationships with ABC News partners, including show producers.
- Coordinate and align scheduling aspects of technical managers and broadcast engineers to effectively support competing events.
- Research, test, and develop field technologies for use in breaking news and planned events.
- 24/7 readiness to respond to breaking news anywhere in the world.
- Anticipate the needs of a dynamic news operation and execute creative, timely solutions.
- Occasional travel based on business and production need.
Expertise and understanding in the following functional areas are vital to success in this role:
- Field equipment, including cameras, audio, lighting, IT, comms and scenic design.
- Knowledge of all field transmission with KU, TVU, LiveU, InSeeGo, Starlink, bonded cellular, microwave, Peplink, Haivision, ASI, and satellite.
- Understanding of field production needs around power, UPS, networking, and remote studio builds.
- Ability to understand technical drawings and other documentation for all broadcast devices, services, and processes.
- Strong analytical and technical problem-solving skills to troubleshoot and resolve complex system problems quickly with little external technical guidance and develop corrective measures for problems.
- Ability to thrive in a team environment that promotes collaboration and creativity in the workplace.
- Minimum 6 years industry experience in live news production, field and remote production, and management of a large team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience interacting with and influencing technical and non-technical partners and teams.
- Scheduling flexibility around the 24/7 news cycles.
- Ability to manage teams across time zones.
- Strong industry contacts across media/production technology/systems, vendors, and industry groups.
- Experience with managing union represented employees, in partnership with Labor Relations, Human Resources, and Finance business partners.
- Project management experience with proficiencies in the Microsoft suite, specifically Excel.
- Experience in developing, enhancing, implementing, and sustaining workflows.
- Self-starter and a team player skilled in managing internal and external relationships.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
ABC News is America’s No. 1 news source, providing straightforward, fact-driven journalism across broadcast, streaming, digital and audio. ABC’s award-winning programs include “Good Morning America,” “World News Tonight with David Muir,” “Nightline,” “20/20,” “This Week with George Stephanopoulos,” “GMA3: What You Need to Know,” and “The View”. Other platforms include ABC News Live, the network’s 24/7 streaming channel; ABC News Studios, a premium, narrative nonfiction original production house; ABC News Digital, comprised of a diverse audience of more than 53 million monthly average users; ABC Audio, the premier source for radio news and industry-leading podcasts; FiveThirtyEight, renowned data journalism organization; and NewsOne, the affiliate news service. Based in New York City, ABC News is comprised of three U.S. bureaus and eight international bureaus, with a presence in more than 20 countries around the world.
The hiring range for this position in New Jersey is $117,342 - $143,100 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About ABC News:
The Disney General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business we call ABC News.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.