Shanghai, China (Mainland)
As a Center Manager, you are responsible to develop the strategy of the Disney English Center (hiring, marketing, objective setting, etc) and oversee the day-to-day operations (leadership, acadeic delivery, Guest service, sales and maintenance) with full profit and loss responsibility. You are expected to provide a consistent, exceptional Disney guest experience; develop relationships with internal and external partners and the local community key stakeholders; and develop your team of more than 30 Cast Members while in compliance with policies and procedures.
- Full Time
- Level: Senior
- Travel: No
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What are the qualifications that will help you achieve success at Disney English?
- Good listener
- Skiller presenter
Job Summary:Since opened, Disney English has taught nearly 100,000 children to speak English confidently in their own voice through an immersive storytelling environment that only the Walt Disney Company can provide.
The Center Manager is a very rewarding role for the right person with considerable ownership and responsibility. As a Center Manager you are responsible to develop the strategy of the Center (hiring, marketing, objective setting, etc.) and oversee the day-to-day operations (leadership, academic delivery, Guest service, & sales, maintenance) of the Center and have full Center profit & loss (P&L) responsibility. You are expected to provide a consistent exceptional Disney Guest experience, develop relationships with internal, external and local community key stakeholders, and develop your team of more than 30 Cast Members while in compliance with policies and procedures.
An ideal Center Manager has an entrepreneurial spirit. They are self-driven, take initiative, meet commitments while using sound judgment and strong attention to detail. You are expected to model our Disney heritage and provide inspirational, storytelling leadership with strong passion for the Disney Brand. This includes leading by example through integrity and modeling our Four Key Basics of safety, courtesy, show, and efficiency. A Disney English Center Manager exemplifies a positive demeanor takes pride in developing and motivating a diverse group of Cast Members.
Safety and Security
- Ensure a safe and secure environment at all times for our Cast and our Guests.
- Build a culture of safety in the Center and coach Cast on the importance of safety and security expected of Disney
- Conduct regular safety and security training and drills, ensuring Cast Members understand and are able to execute their center’s Emergency Response Plans.
- Report any safety or security-related incidences in an accurate and timely manner through the appropriate channels
- Leading with a positive attitude and demonstrate commitment to a team of more than 30 Cast Members. Responsible for their selection, retention, engagement and development
- Creating a positive work environment that is fun, open, respectful, honest, a place where Cast enjoy coming to work and others wish they worked
- Creating a positive environment that encourages collaboration, creative thinking, new ideas, and supports risk taking
- Know and manage the Center and teach it to Cast Members
- Strengthening others through consistent and on-going coaching and feedback while driving productivity and morale of your team
- Holding self and others accountable for delivering the Four Keys Basics (Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency)
- Considers impact of your behaviors on individual, team and the organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly with all levels, even under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead a team that drives results
- Ability to listen to feedback and suggestions from others and take constructive action
- Must maintain a professional appearance and hold your team accountable for doing the same adhering to Disney English grooming guidelines
- Builds relationships with internal and external partners to support Center goals including regular check ins, information sharing, and providing updates
- Conduct regular one on one meetings to provide ongoing development of your direct reports and hold engaging Center meetings with a balanced focus of Cast Satisfaction, Guest satisfaction, and business results
- Ensuring the delivery of strong academic results and parent satisfaction
- Providing an exceptional level of service that only Disney can deliver and ensure operational goals and service standards are met
- Empowering and coaching your Casts to make decisions regarding Guest satisfaction. Personally handle escalated concerns related to the Guest experience to bring about resolution in a timely and efficient manner and providing Guest Service Recovery as appropriate
- Ensuring Center is open, closed and run with integrity and in compliance with company policy
- Upholding all company policies as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures, Employee Policy Manual and Code of Business Conduct
- Leading the Center with a balanced focus of Cast satisfaction, Guest Satisfaction, and business results. All are equally important to your success as a Center Manager.
- Being immersed into the local community raising awareness of the Disney English Brand through marketing events and activities to increase your Center business and growth
- Establishing monthly and quarterly sales targets and supports your team through coaching and training to grow the business
- Recognizing and rewarding your team members for their contributions and efforts
- Collaborating with National and Regional partners on the execution of business programs and processes
- Efficiently manage your operating budget and P&L for the Center while keeping in mind Disney Four Keys: Safety, Courtesy, Show & Efficiency
- Meeting your P&L goals
- Meeting your Operating Income targets
- Full finance controllership compliance of your Center
- Your Center Cast turnover and engagement
- Your Center Mystery shop visit score of 90% or higher
Basic Qualifications:Job Qualifications:
- 8 years’ experience in managing a fast growing retail or service / guest experience business.
- Proven track record in team leadership – hiring in local community, performance management, and capability building and team engagement.
- Bachelor degree or commensurate experience required.
- High integrity, sense of compliance, code of conduct
- Passion for people and the Disney Brand
- Conversational English skills (or willingness to improve English to manage the team)
- Strong Business savvy (including P&L)
- Results driven spirit and capability
- People leadership - hire/ delegate / engage / train and inspire people
- Sense of community – local market and independent team
- Manage change with confidence
- Risk Management – identify obstacles and manage the potential impact
- Plan and prioritize - know how to priorities the laser focus in line with the business stage
- Be able to take heavy pressures
- Self-motivated and balanced – work and life
- More stable, committed to Disney
- Diversity management
- Across functions, across nationality (strong leadership can make this)
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Business analytical capability
- Understand how to build brand in the market
- Customer service and relationship management skills.
- Execution capability to ensure the high standard and quality maintaining in the center.
About Disney English:
Experience a new culture while giving kids the gift of English! With locations across China, the Disney English program uses the "Disney Immersive Storytelling Approach," which utliizes Disney characters to make learning more fun. Our teachers engage children (ages 2-12) the way they naturally learn, through song, interactive games, role-play and above all, fun! Disney English teachers are well-supported with classroom materials/plans, as well as with help settling into expat life; those who want to experience more of China can often transfer to different cities. Through Disney English, educators get the experience of a lifetime while teaching students life-long skills.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney English Training (Shanghai) Company Limited, which is part of a business segment we call Disney English.
It is the policy of the Company to provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, family status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, nationality/ethnicity, migrant worker status, carrier of infectious diseases status, or any other category of persons to the extent provided by law. This policy extends, but is not limited, to recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, rate of pay, and other forms of compensation, education, and training.
Medical insurance provided.
Employee Assistance Program
24-hour confidential & professional assistance for employees and eligible dependents
Tools, training and support to prepare employees for advancement
Holidays and Sick Time off provided.
Complimentary Disney theme park admission
Explore Shanghai Disneyland and select Disney Parks around the world with a limited theme park admission pass