Design Manager, Softline
Shanghai, China (Mainland)
As a Manager, Design, you will be responsible for the design of licensed publishing and design process from artwork creative to finished product with focus on assigned categories.
- Full Time
- Level: Senior
- Travel: Minimal
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What are the qualifications that will help you achieve success at The Walt Disney Company?
- Technologically savvy
- Skilled presenter
- Visual thinker
- In charge in product design and development process from artwork creative to finished product with focus on all kinds of fashion and home textile categories, including kids and adults, from local wholesales brands to international fashion brands.
- To work closely with licensees, category managers and Creative Directors in developing new product lines
- To involve in the approval process for in-house approvals of licensees so as to ensure Disney’s standards are upheld.
- To give design advise/suggestions internally to category managers and externally to existing and potential licensees on quality concepts and designs for their products, so as to increase the revenue for the Company.
- To initiate and perform product line reviews, and new licensees’ induction meetings on a regular basis.
- To provide support in marketing program / tie-in promotions, artworks & special project assigned.
- To supervise and direct Local Content characters/design usage in products, print materials, advertising and promotional and retail projects.
- To build and add into existing library and manage the distribution of art resources, i.e. style guides, art portfolios and brand manuals received from head office
- To update and revise the manual for category managers and licensees on Disney characters’ usage, brand knowledge and product approval procedures
- To recruit and train freelance character artists, designers well versed in Disney standards for referral to licensees or any for special projects.
- To perform any and all other duties, as may from time to time be assigned from management team
- Internal – Category Managers / Directors, Creative Team, cross LOB projects with other regional creative teams within APAC , Central creative team in Shanghai office.
- External – Potential / existing Licensees and other business partners
Freelance character artists, designers and sculptors
Key local retail accounts
Leading consumer product manufacturers
- University graduate in Fashion / Graphic Design / Visual Design
- 5+ years experience with relevant design work in fashion, accessories or home deco; preferably with international company.
- Bi-lingual: Fluent spoken and written English and Mandarin
- Strong product knowledge for softline products, including fashion, home textiles, etc.
- Willing to travel, locations include licensees’ offices within China.
- Creativity and aesthetics in Fashion / graphic design
- Strong presentation skill to present ideas and concepts, mood boards
- Excellent co-ordination and communication skills
- Product/market/trend research skills
- Computer skills on PC, Macintosh, and any related tools, e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, After effect, or any other design software.
- Keynote or PowerPoint
- Strong team player + strong work ethics
- Business integrity + professional attitude
- Design sense + high taste level
- Committed to excellence
- Attention to details
- A creative flair and be able to work in a highly innovative and dynamic environment
About Disney Licensing:
Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media (DCPI) is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) that brings our Company’s stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across more than 100 categories, from toys and t-shirts, to apps, books and console games. DCPI comprises four main lines of business: Global Licensing, Disney Retail, Publishing and Digital Media, and Games, Apps, and Labs. The segment is home to world-class teams of app and game developers, licensing and retail experts, a leading retail business (Disney Store), artists and storytellers, and technologists who inspire imaginations and bring the magic of Disney into the daily lives of families and fans around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company (China) Limited, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Licensing.
Medical and Health and Wellness Programs provided.
Tools, training and support to prepare employees for advancement
Holidays and Sick Time off provided
Complimentary Disney theme park admission
Explore Shanghai Disneyland and select Disney Parks around the world with a limited theme park admission pass