Already applied?View Dashboard
Merchandise Development DirectorApply Now Apply Later Job ID 516298BR Location Shanghai Municipality, China Business Disney Parks & Resorts Brand Disney Parks & Resorts Date posted Jan. 09, 2018
Job Summary:Shanghai Disney Resort, the first Disney resort in Mainland China, is a place where friends and families can escape together to a whole new world of fantasy, imagination, creativity and adventure. The resort is home to the Shanghai Disneyland theme park, featuring six lands, as well as two themed hotels – Shanghai Disneyland Hotel and Toy Story Hotel, Disney town, a large shopping, dining and entertainment district, a Broadway-style theatre, Wishing Star Park and other outdoor recreation areas. Shanghai Disneyland is a Magic Kingdom-style theme park featuring classic Disney storytelling and characters but with authentic cultural touches and themes tailored specifically for the people of China. As we continue to develop this magical destination, we’re looking for a variety of world-class professionals including front line Cast Members and an innovative development team to help our plans take shape.
- Lead and manage high performing team of between 10-13 individuals
- Develop Merchandisers and Associate Merchandisers, positioning them for growth within the organization through evaluation and coaching their professional development
- Maintain relationships, resolve issues, and balance workload of Direct Reports
- Drive overall strategies built upon the teams’ market analysis, competitive shopping, and analysis of historical sales trends
- Oversee the development and implementation of a seasonal and core product mix that is balanced in regards to product details and demographic diversity, while encompassing a sound strategy
- Incorporate innovative ideas from Global Research & Development Team and Consumer Insights into merchandise assortment strategies
- Collaborate with Creative, Planning, and Sourcing teams regarding all strategic details and decisions of all categories, ensuring that all creative, financial, and sourcing goals are met
- Communicate the strategic assortment direction to key cross-functional partners (Category Planning, Design, Sourcing, Location Planning, Visual Display, Global Partners, Brand Management, etc.)
- Reports to Director, Merchandise
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- 7+ years experience in Buying, Merchandising and/or Product Development
- Proven experience leading a team
- Excellent presentation skills
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Proficiency in writing, reading and speaking Mandarin and English
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and detail-oriented
- Exhibit strong partnering skills and excel in a team dynamic
- Strong influencing abilities
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop as well as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proven ability to work in a complex and diverse major business unit of a multi-national company.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency with Internet and Windows software packages
Additional Information:Keyword: shdrprofessional
About Disney Parks & Resorts:
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts are where dreams come true. More than sixty years ago, Walt Disney created a new kind of entertainment families could experience together, immersed in detailed atmospheres and vibrant storytelling. His vision now includes a collection of six of the world’s leading family vacation destinations – Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, Calif.; Walt Disney World Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.; Tokyo Disney Resort, Urayasu, Chiba, Japan; Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallée, France; Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, located on Lantau Island; and Shanghai Disney Resort, Pudong New District, Shanghai, China. In addition, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts includes the world-class Disney Cruise Line; Disney Vacation Club; Aulani, A Disney Resort and Spa; Adventures by Disney, a guided group vacation experience to some of the world’s most popular destinations; and Walt Disney Imagineering, which creates and designs all Disney parks, resorts and attractions.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Shanghai Theme Park Co., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Parks & Resorts.