Assistant Editor, DigitalApply NowApply Later Job ID 873387BR Location Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Business ESPN Date posted Oct. 08, 2021
The Assistant Editor for ESPN.com must have a passion for sport, in particular Rugby League in Australia and the NBA and NFL in the United States, as well an in-depth knowledge of domestic and international leagues and clubs, with some experience in producing and managing digital content. In addition, the Assistant Editor will work closely with the ESPN.com team to develop a comprehensive, engaging and informative offering that sets ESPN apart from the competition. This includes developing world-class multi-platform content and taking advantage of all the resources at ESPN, including but not limited to TV, Digital, Audio and Video content.
- Daily programming of ESPN.com, including but not limited to match reports, copy editing, headline and blurb writing and photo selection.
- Daily communication with and assistance in programming of ESPN’s suite of Global pages
- Produce original content and repurpose and upload third-party material, manage photos and video, and maintain ESPN.com, socials and other ancillary products.
- Work alongside the wider Editorial Team to develop and implement an integrated editorial strategy by which ESPN.com content informs, entertains and engages the audience, and promotes the broadcast company; work closely with other editors to shape ESPN’s digital coverage.
- Management of live events under senior direction.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of the world of domestic and international sport, and a good grasp of current affairs, pop culture and trending topics outside sport to inform decision-making.
- Submit ideas and suggestions regarding content to the Senior Editor and wider team.
- Contribute to Global Events as a member of the relevant editorial teams as required.
- Develop strategies to further integrate ESPN.com with existing ESPN properties including Footytips and Cricinfo, and explore new multimedia initiatives.
- Contribute to the growth of mobile first video consumption as a company priority and generate and execute original video ideas.
- In conjunction with key stakeholders – particularly the Social Media Lead and Senior Editor - help execute the social strategy to grow the ESPN audience and increase engagement across its multi-platform portfolio of brands, particularly through the development of a distinct voice for social pillars across Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter.
- Assist in the development of social media strategies to engage with fans across major events in multiple sports
- Work closely with the Senior Editor to develop a distinct Australian voice for ESPN’s key social pillars.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism, communications, digital media or a related field.
- Strong news sense
- Typically 2-3 years of writing, reporting and/or editing/programming experience.
- Experience in NRL and other local sports being an advantage.
- Excellent English grammar and organisational skills.
- Understanding of HTML and related web-authoring tools and software, and audio and social media tools.
- Strong knowledge of social media and emerging technologies.
- Appreciation of pop culture and the tastes of ESPN's audiences, and the broad Australian sport’s audience
- An ability to write accurately and coherently under pressure.
- Ability to work autonomously and contribute to ESPN’s global coverage.
- Must be able to demonstrate strong initiative and self-motivation.
- Attention to detail and an ability to embrace new technologies are vital.
- The ability to develop contacts and to use them as appropriate.
- Ability to develop critical working relationships with key colleagues locally and remotely.
Additional Information:Will need to be able to work evenings, weekends and public holidays as necessary to maintain a 24/7 digital platform.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Australia Pty Ltd, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.