Compositing Supervisor Sydney, AustraliaApply NowApply Later Job ID ogkxafw1 Location Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 15, 2019
The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s four studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Compositing Supervisor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Compositing Supervisor participates in the supervision and direction of a variety of administrative and personnel decisions, responsibilities, and tasks related to the staff and activities of the Compositing group in addition to assuming show/project responsibilities. This position serves as the role model and mentor for the Compositing department, with the goal of fostering a team environment.
- Participates in the supervision and direction of a variety of administrative and personnel decisions and responsibilities including: recruitment, determination of work procedures and priorities, career development, employee morale, performance reviews and conflict resolution.
- Participates in the creation and submission of job bids.
- Assists the department manager with the employee review process and the scheduling of personnel on shows, providing input on skills, productivity, and career development.
- Responsible for honest, timely feedback to Compositing crew members.
- Acts as a point person between Production and Compositing crews, providing timely, clear communication.
- Assemble crew for production, assess individuals skills and delegate work appropriately.
- Responsible for problem solving and communicating issues organizationally, logistically and technically.
- Attends show “post mortem” meetings, designing and implementing streamlined processes where applicable.
- Assumes Compositing project/show responsibilities as required.
- Composite feature effects shots utilizing ILM proprietary software.
- Take a lead role in effect design to take advantage of software capabilities.
- Consult with Effects Supervisors to ensure their understanding of the compositing system.
- Supervise and train less experienced compositing artist.
- Responsible for fostering a team environment.
- Responsible for all aspects of 2D compositing.
- Assesses work for a shot and is responsible for its completion.
- Coordinates and combines work of Roto Artists, Matte Painters and 3D Technical Directors.
- Is able to perform all tasks necessary to complete a shot; including matte extraction, painting, roto, 2D motion, compositing and use of ancillary 2 1/2 D programs.
Education / Experience
- 5+ years of Compositing experience
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Knowledge of matte extraction, painting, roto, 2D motion, compositing and use of ancillary 2 ½ D programs.
- Working knowledge of Unix and shell scripting
- Artistic Ability
- Understanding of photography, composition, lighting, color and motion
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.undefined
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.