Already applied?View Dashboard
Creature Modeler Sydney, AustraliaApply Now Apply Later Job ID oLUCafwb Location Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Sep. 25, 2019
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Creature Modeler to join our team of artists and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
With an emphasis on anatomy and form, the Creature Modeler will create three dimensional CG characters to be painted, enveloped and animated by the creature development team.
- Creates three-dimensional creatures for the Animator and Technical Director. Employs specific software tools to build the geometric structure of the object and ensures that the model will satisfy the requirements of the production.
- In building creatures, the modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, and a basic understanding of animation.
- Works with production team (Sr. Modeler, Technical Directors and Animators) to determine the “look” for an object.
- Builds the geometry of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process.
- Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts or equivalent with a thorough understanding of anatomy, character design, and animation
- Portfolio demonstrating traditional artistic skills including illustration, and sculptural abilities a plus
Required Skills / Competencies
- Proven experience creating digital creatures or characters in a feature film or production
- Requires familiarity with film and video post production techniques and with computer graphic techniques
Required Technical Skills
- 2-3 years Zbrush, Maya, and facial development experience and/or a demonstrated desire to develop computer skills. Knowledge of UNIX is a necessity as to navigate through ILM’s production pipeline.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.