Creature Supervisor Sydney, AustraliaApply Now Apply Later Job ID oiusbfw9 Location Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Nov. 01, 2019
The Creature Supervisor is the primary technical/aesthetics resource within the department. They supervise shows by working closely with the VFX Supervisor and Producer on meeting show Creature needs.
The Creature Supervisor should be experienced and passionate about building photo-realistic creatures, have experience in leading/mentoring teams, and understanding in all aspects of Creature TD work. The Creature Supervisor partners with other departments to ensure the smooth pipeline and workflow of creature work.
- Supervising/mentoring creature team and identifying talent/performance within the team to meet show/department needs. Skills development and training.
- Participates in turnover meetings, asset breakdowns, and bidding/re-bidding over the course of the show.
- Ensuring the creature team/show meets the shows requirements; determines the technical and aesthetics approaches to hit targets on time while monitoring show/shot progress.
- Highly proficient in body/facial rigging. Working experience with in-house proprietary modular rigging systems as well as off the shelf Maya rigging tools
- Deep understanding in anatomy and muscle dynamics. Good eye for aesthetics of body/face deformations
- Highly proficient in cloth/hair/flesh/rigid body simulations, Setting up, running, and troubleshooting proprietary cloth, hair, flesh surfaces, and fur/feather simulations. Experience with lookdev of simulated motions. Plus point if he/she has experience in both proprietary simulation engines as well as off the shelf software packages (Maya/Houdini).
- Responsible for defining animation controls and rigging puppets to be used by other departments, such as Animation.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or equivalent work experience.
- Shows demonstrable strengths in most technical areas, i.e. shader writing, shell scripting, as well as a
- well-developed “eye with aesthetic judgment
- 5 years minimum experience as a Lead Technical Director with leadership responsibilities.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Excellent communications skills and leadership qualities. Professional manner in a pressured environment.
- Meticulous and methodical work habits
- Must be able to work in a team environment and have strong leadership skills, including communication and ability to delegate
- Drive for results
- Plan well and manage priorities
- Stay agile and flexible
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Think analytically and innovatively
- Always curious and seek for new learning opportunities
Required Technical Skills
- Thorough understanding of UNIX, shell scripting, Renderman or other procedural shading language
- Highly proficient in Linux, Python, Maya
- Plus point if experienced in C++, specifically Maya plugin development
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.