Creature Technical Director Sydney, AustraliaApply NowApply Later Job ID oDUCafw3 Location Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Nov. 01, 2019
The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking creature technical directors to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
Creature technical directors are responsible for setting up and running animation rigs, flesh-surface, hair, cloth, rigid body dynamics as well as being able to wrangle creature asset and pipeline issues proficiently under the direction and guidance of their leads and supervisors.
- Setup and run proprietary cloth, hair, fur, feather, flesh and rigid body simulations
- Setup and maintain hero animation puppet rigs for both deforming and rigid assets
- Manage communication with the modelling/animation/lighting departments to continually improve assets
- Troubleshoot creature rigging and pipeline issues for artists in other departments (for example, animation)
- Support creature specific workflows where necessary for other departments
- Support and enhance the Creature departments working standards and conventions within Rigging, Simulation, and Pipeline
- Work within Production deadlines
- Mentor entry level artists
- A sound understanding of Maya Rigging concepts and principles
- Maya's deformation stack and layering deformers
- Working knowledge of Simulation concepts
- Basic understanding of anatomy and locomotion for bipeds and quadrupeds
- Communicate technical knowledge through various mixed media forums (documentation)
- Experience using a modular rigging system
- Script utilities/tools/plug-ins in various software packages using python
- Experience setting up and running cloth, hair, and muscle simulations in Houdini
- c++ maya plugin development
- Vex houdini experience
- Proficiency with the Linux operating system
- Attention to detail
- Thinks analytically and innovatively
- Enjoys creative problem solving
- Good social and communication skills
- Encourages collaboration
- Remains agile and flexible under pressure
- Plans well and manages priorities
- Welcomes new learning opportunities
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, computer visualization, or computer animation required
- At least 3 years work experience required in 3D CGI for digital animation, visual effects or producing cg characters and creatures for visual media
- At least 3 years work experience as a Maya rigger in digital animation, visual effects, games, commercials or producing cg characters and creatures for visual media
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.undefined
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.