Already applied?View Dashboard
Effects Supervisor Sydney, AustraliaApply Now Apply Later Job ID oGVAafw5 Location Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 18, 2019
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s four studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking an Effects Supervisor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Effects Supervisor is primarily responsible for leading a team of Effects Artists and leads with their aesthetic eye and sharp technical skills to work on “phenomenal” events like tsunamis, explosions, magic, or spaceships hurtling past distant constellations. This role works as a hands-on collaborator with the VFX Supervisor to ensure that all delivered shots maintain the group’s rigorous standards and support the creative vision of the director.
- Provide constructive creative oversight and feedback to the Effects Artists
- Designs and creates complicated FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems
- Develops new techniques quickly, and debug complicated problems
- Set a standard for all Technical Directors by continually improving the speed, quality of our work and adaptability
- Regularly interacts with the Producer and Director to understand the desired look as it relates to effects for the production.
- Deliver final shots to production and ensure final technical check is complete.
- Participates as a Supervising team member in determining various design solutions; efficiency improvements and provides artistic feedback on a shot and sequence level to other team members of the production.
- Coaches and guides the team of Effects artists to execute quality performance for the project.
- Works with the Talent Management and Production to bid, schedule, and cast shotwork.
- Responsible for guiding the overall effects and simulations on schedule and budget.
- Partners with production management to provide artists with performance feedback, guidance, mentoring, resolving performance issues and maintaining positive morale amongst the crew.
- Attends all relevant meetings to promote effective communication throughout the production team.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Exhibits excellent listening and communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal)
- Plans well and manages priorities
- Stays agile and flexible
- Thinks analytically and innovatively
- Always curious and seeks new learning opportunities
- Proficiency with Linux, Unix,
- Produced effects smoke, fire, explosions, water, clouds, steam, particle
- Demonstrable experience of mentoring and developing artists
- Can develop small scale, show specific tools for non-FX TDs and other FX TDs
- Excellent pipeline scripting ability
- Solid compositing ability
- Demonstrates an excellent aesthetic eye, anticipating potential problems and using knowledge of how to use the tools to achieve the desired look
- Demonstrates superb problem-solving skills and takes the initiative to offer ideas and suggestions
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Extra artistic interests are welcome (photography, video, painting or sculpting and any creative activity)
- Linux and scripting ability in Python
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or equivalent work experience.
- Expert in Maya software, and knowledge and experience in Python, Hscript or Mel, and Houdini is a plus.
- 10+ year’s production experience, also with experience in a leadership role in film visual effects
- Highly proficient skills in technical problem solving
- Experience working across different studios/locations and time zones
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.