Effects Supervisor Sydney, AustraliaApply NowApply Later Job ID o3hWefwe Location Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Mar. 16, 2021
The Effects Supervisor is primarily responsible for leading a team of Effects Artists and Leads. This role works as a hands-on collaborator with the VFX and CG Supervisor to ensure that all delivered shots maintain ILM’s rigorous standards and support the creative vision of the show.
What you’ll do:
- Designs and creates complicated FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems, and rigid body simulations.
- Light and render FX elements and produce composites to showcase ideas
- Develops and implements new techniques quickly and debugs complicated problems
- Sets the standard by continually improving the efficiency, speed, and the quality of the team's output
- Provide constructive and consistent creative and technical oversight and feedback on a shot and sequence level to the team
- Partners with other discipline leadership in determining various cross department solutions, improvements and collaboration.
- Coaches and guides the team of Effects artists to execute quality performance for the project.
- Works with Production to bid, schedule, and cast shotwork.
- Responsible for guiding the overall effects and simulations are on delivered schedule and budget.
- Partners with Talent Management to provide artists with performance feedback, guidance, mentoring, resolving performance issues and maintaining positive morale amongst the crew.
- Attends all relevant meetings to promote effective communication throughout the production team.
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or equivalent work experience.
- Expert in Houdini software, and knowledge and experience in Python, Hscript or Mel
- 10+ year’s production experience, also with experience in a leadership role in film visual effects
- Proficiency with Linux, Unix,
- Produced effects smoke, fire, explosions, water, clouds, steam, particle
- Demonstrable experience of mentoring and developing artists
- Strong communication skills to present to supervisors and mentor the artist team
- Can develop small scale, show specific tools for non-FX TDs and other FX TDs
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.undefined
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.