Effects Technical Director (all levels)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 10000413 Location Sydney, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Feb. 12, 2024
ILM is currently hiring Effects Technical Directors at all levels and often in multiple locations. You may not see your specific career level advertised online, through the process you and your recruiter will work together to find the right role that combines your unique experience and career goals.
We are hiring across all levels for this discipline
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking an Effects Technical Director to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity. The Effects Technical Director generates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems for feature film visual effects. They are responsible for lighting, rendering and moderate-level compositing of complex shots with guidance from their supervisors.
What will you be doing?
- Design and create FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems
- Set-up and wrangle heavy particle effects
- Solid lighting/rendering ability and working knowledge of Nuke
- Animate moderate objects with proficiency
- Pick-up new technologies quickly and easily and can debug just about anything.
- Sets a standard for all Technical Directors in continually raising the bar for speed, quality of work and adaptability.
To be a contributing member of this team, you will have a mix of these skills:
- Working knowledge of Houdini
- Ability to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to pipeline issues.
- Detail oriented and strong self-sufficient troubleshooter.
- Good understanding of the entire visual effects process, from shooting to modeling and texturing, animation, rendering and compositing
- 3-5+ years production experience or feature film experience with effects simulation work
- Demo reel with breakdown required
- Linux and scripting ability in Python
- Expert knowledge of Houdini and proficient in VEX
- Good knowledge of Mantra, including setting up and writing shaders
At Lucasfilm/ILM we believe that diversity, inclusion and belonging are integral to our company. We are at our best when our people at all levels reflect the vast life experiences of our audiences, and we thrive when ideas and decisions from all are valued and represented. If you are passionate about the role, but don't fit every criteria of the posting, we encourage you to still apply. We want to hear your story.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Australia) Pty. Ltd., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.