Generalist - Environments (all levels)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10000858 Location Sydney, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Apr. 26, 2023
ILM is currently hiring Generalists (Environments) at all levels and often in multiple locations. You may not see your specific career level advertised online, through the process you and your recruiter will work together to find the right role that combines your unique experience and career goals.
We are hiring across all levels for this discipline
Generalists create photo-real environments and landscapes and exhibit a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. They work with live action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into assigned shotwork.
Successful candidates can model, texture, shade, light, look development and composite CG images or shots, however candidates will be considered if they demonstrate themselves to be exceptional in only one area, as long as they have some experience in all others and are willing to learn.
What will you be doing?
- Uses artistic and technical skills to work on all aspects of CG images or shots
- Creates high quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs, and working under the general supervision of Senior Level Artists and Generalists
- Participates as a team member in determining various aesthetic solutions; provides feedback to other members of the production by attending dailies on a regular basis
- Expected to mentor Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots
- Work to meet defined milestones within a timeline
- Source suitable reference materials for required assets
- Attend dailies and participate in creative problem solving
- Responsible for creating original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment
- Create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult and allocates detail based on the shot and feedback
- Creates maps in 2D and sets up basic shaders for look development
- Creates basic lighting setups in complex shaders that look convincing and render efficiently
- We are particularly interested in artists with Houdini skills
To be a contributing member of this team, you will have a mix of these skills:
- Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing OR Proven artistic ability in a non-CG field (impressive portfolio of figure drawing, landscape, animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc.)
- High level of problem-solving or creative thinking skills
- Fluent in Photoshop
- Fluent in Houdini, 3dsmax, Maya or similar
- Fluent in Vray or MRay or similar ray trace renderer
- Comparable software experience considered
- Degree or 3-5 years relevant experience (professional OR amateur) in one or more of the following fields: Computer Graphics, Fine Arts, Design or Photography
At Lucasfilm/ILM we believe that diversity, inclusion and belonging are integral to our company. We are at our best when our people at all levels reflect the vast life experiences of our audiences, and we thrive when ideas and decisions from all are valued and represented. If you are passionate about the role, but don't fit every criteria of the posting, we encourage you to still apply. We want to hear your story.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Australia) Pty. Ltd., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.