Layout SupervisorApply NowApply Later Job ID 10000416 Location Sydney, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jun. 24, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Layout Supervisor works independently and under the VFX Supervisor as the leader of the layout crew. The Layout Supervisor approves shotwork, advises layout artists on aesthetic changes, and is responsible for the final aesthetic look and accuracy of matchmoves and layout shots sent to the VFX Supervisor. This artist works closely with production to schedule and cast shotwork, bid new or existing shots, and help estimate crewing needs.
The Layout Supervisor mentors artists, teaches show specific training courses, and troubleshoots shots/pipeline issues if the Layout Artist cannot. The Layout Supervisor oversees all outsourced layout work, ensuring that any vendor’s work is held to the same standard as work completed internally or at any ILM facility.
In addition to supervising duties, the Layout Supervisor is responsible for his/her own shotwork. This includes building 3D geometry and maintaining continuity for entire sequences of shots and creating new camera moves based on either existing or synthetic plate photography following the cinematic feel of the project.
- Responsible for the most complex layout and set ups; works independently with minimal supervision
- Provide leadership, guidance and direction to the layout team
- Work with the CG Supervisor and Production Manager to bid, schedule, and cast shotwork
- Gives the layout team technical and aesthetic instruction for a shot or sequence
- Troubleshoot issues related to shotwork or layout pipeline
- Converts background plates to create digital motion files that match the plate photography, including animating any live action character or relative object in the scene
- Generate 2D Compositing elements, while maintaining the accuracy of the camera perspectives
- Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for other departments
- Light, render and composite files with the background to judge the move
- Create original all CG camera animation
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to supervise and mentor a team of artists.
- Work closely with other discipline supervisors, including CG Supervisor and VFX Supervisor.
- Responsible for delivering feedback to artists, both constructive and positive.
- Must have a willingness to learn new tools, proven ability to be detail-oriented and to work efficiently within a production environment.
- Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- On set experience
- Background in previz or rough layout a plus
- Advanced knowledge of LINUX, 3DE, Maya, and/or proprietary tracking software.
- Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives.
Education / Experience:
- At least eight years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a university level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least ten years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Australia) Pty. Ltd., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.