Lead Pipeline Technical Director Sydney, Australia
Sydney, New South Wales, AustraliaApply NowApply Later
Job ID osw8efw4 Location Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Apr. 06, 2021
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Lead Pipeline Technical Director to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Lead Pipeline Technical Director is responsible for taking a lead role in developing, maintaining and ensuring the smooth running of the VFX production pipeline. They will be active in both development projects, show support and will mentor the Pipeline Technical Director team in Sydney.
We are looking for a proven leader who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
On any given day, you might partner with the Production Engineer Supervisor and CG supervisors to:
- Develop workflow and tools on show-specific projects locally and across all studios.
- Ensure the Pipeline TD team is adhering to ILM standards when building new tools and workflows
- Approve methods and procedures on new projects and in conjunction with the assigned Pipeline TD, including code reviews locally and globally
- Serve as key knowledge resource for workflow and tools used in production at ILM
- Advise other engineers with maintenance and bug fixing of existing tools
- Collaborate with show supervisors across shows to develop per-show tool customizations, avoiding duplicating work across shows
- Provide training and assistance to both Pipeline TDs, production and artists on toolsets and workflows
- Lead discussions surrounding future workflow and tool development, ensuring best practices
- Participate in the activities of the globally distributed production engineering team, focusing on development and support activities, status and planning meetings and adhere to development best practices and standards defined by the Supervisor
Here are the skills and experience you need to be successful in this role:
- Solid production experience in the visual effects and/or computer animation industries, with an understanding of working in a collaborative global environment
- A confident leader, who enjoys working with people and has experience mentoring teams
- A creative thinker and innovator: able to devise and employ clever solutions to difficult problems
- Technically strong, with expert knowledge of python, the linux environment, code standards and VFX software such as Maya, Nuke, Houdini or Katana, Renderman, vray, or Arnold
- Experience with database technologies such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB or Redis and writing RESTful APIs
- Bachelor’s degree in Computing Science or Graphics discipline, or equivalent professional experience
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.undefined
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.