Lighting Technical Director Sydney, AustraliaApply Now Apply Later Job ID oxDyafwC Location Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 16, 2019
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Lighting Technical Director to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
Lighting Technical Directors (TD) work with direction from the Visual Effects Supervisors and Sequence Supervisors to create the look of computer generated objects and scenes. They are responsible for lighting, shading, rendering, and some compositing. TDs work with other artists such as Character Animator, Rotoscope Artists and Compositors to bring the shot together.
- Creates images, effects and programs for digitally composited sequences
- Responsible for compiling the various elements of a shot and seeing it through to completion
- Designs and implements direct and reflected lighting and shadows for assigned shots that meet art and tone direction
- Develop solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction
- Able to navigate and use previous setups for at least a dozen shots, insertion of shot specialization, managing multiple assets and lighting setups
- Management of volumetric light setups, including shadowing and cucoloris development
- Light, material assign and render for actors using CG hair and scattering skin materials.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering or computer graphics or equivalent 3-5+ years production experience or feature film experience with effects simulation work
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Linux and scripting ability in Python
- Advanced simulation experience with either Houdini, Maya, XSI, 3DS Max or other software, and ability to write expressions or authoring of shaders
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Experience in MEL
- C++ skills also applicable
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.undefined
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.