Linux Systems Administrator Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID oSlxafwE Location Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted 15/07/2019
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s four studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Linux Systems Administrator to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Linux Systems Administrator is responsible for the installation, maintenance, and upgrade of Linux/Unix hardware and software as a member of the Production Systems Operations team.
- Responsible for Linux/Unix systems administration, including system installation and configuration, and installing third-party software on ILM production systems.
- Responsible for configuration and maintenance of a multi-petabyte NAS storage infrastructure, including hardware and software upgrades
- Assist in the design, deployment and maintenance of all Linux/Unix-based systems for Lucasfilm companies in a network/distributed-computing environment.
- Implement and document system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system.
- Alert management to potential problems and respond to emergency events.
- Document all processes, procedures and operations for both internal needs and end users when required.
- Work with managers and systems administrators to meet the highest demands of the system uptime.
- Act as a liaison for Lucasfilm with outside systems vendors to obtain service and support for production systems.
- Assist in the design, deployment and maintenance of the backup infrastructure and participate in disaster recovery planning.
- Conduct data restore requests when needed.
- Participate in periodic off-hours downtime performing upgrades, installations, etc.
- Write scripts in at least one administrative language.
Education / Experience
- BS/CS and 3 years hands-on experience with UNIX systems administration.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Programming skills in administrative languages and shell scripting is required.
- Knowledge and exposure to enterprise class SAN/NAS infrastructure a plus.
- Exposure to large scale multiprocessing hardware and software systems a plus.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Professional and friendly service oriented demeanor with co-workers and customers.
- Self-motivated energetic team player who can work alongside others to maximize team performance.
- Solid decision-making, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Proactive and willing to complete unassigned tasks and take on tasks beyond job scope.
- Must be willing to carry a phone and participate in an on-call rotation.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs required.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.