Media Systems EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 10013847 Location Sydney, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Aug. 05, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Media Systems Engineer to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Media Systems Engineer position is responsible for front line maintenance of all department related computer and video systems. The Engineer is required to assist the Director with the planning, designing, procurement and implementation of media-related technology systems and also provides systems and procedural support to production and technical staff.
- Provides high-level Avid Media Composer support to studio
- Provides frontline maintenance, troubleshooting and installation of equipment for all technical and operational departments throughout studio
- Achieves and maintains expert knowledge of existing AV, Data, Network and other systems at the facility
- Maintains media server software and associated hardware
- Works with global counterparts and team members to design, install and document new media production systems
- Creates and maintains documentation for systems
- Instructs technical and production staff on proper operation and procedures of media systems
- Partners with key personnel in across departments and divisions regarding current and new technology; attends department and project meetings to gain insight into current and future needs, and provide updates and guidance regarding system capabilities
- Conducts research and evaluation of new technology and trends to assess their impact on current and future projects
- Participates in off-hours maintenance, upgrades and installation for essential systems, and on-call rotations as necessary for smooth operation of studio technology
- Works to ensure best security practices are met and maintained
- Special projects as required
Education / Experience
- Bachelor degree in a related field (Engineering or similar), or equivalent professional experience
- 3-5 years experience
Required Skills / Competencies
- Installation and maintenance experience in post-production facilities with complex audio/video systems
- Solid understanding and practical experience of technology relating to media production and post-production, various media file formats, compression schemes and wrappers, video transport streams, etc.
- Experience with projection technology and applications
- Troubleshooting experience
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced production environment as part of a team
- Communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical staff
- Advanced Linux, Mac OS, Windows configurations skills
- Basic scripting experience with Python or other script languages
- Familiarity with AV networking streaming technology
- Certified or wide-spread experience with media composer software preferred
- SAN and NAS storage management preferred
- Basic to intermediate color theory knowledge and practical application preferred
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Australia) Pty. Ltd., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.