Production Engineer, Level IIApply NowApply Later Job ID 10000861 Location Sydney, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Dec. 21, 2022
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Production Engineer, Level II to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
Production Engineering is a globally distributed team that develops tools and workflows which act as the foundational infrastructure for ILM’s other departments. This role will be responsible for organizing data from clients, artists, and the pipeline on disk, and tracking disaster recovery, retention, and capacity concerns. They will reengineer the pipeline to be able to track what is needed, what is used and what isn't, and will oversee syncing and mirroring infrastructure and pipeline between studios.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for the development of workflow and tools, under the guidance of a project lead
- Creates new tools and workflows
- Receives general instruction on work and new assignments
- Advises/assists other engineers with maintenance and bug fixing of existing tools
- Serves as knowledge resource for workflow and tools used in production at ILM
- Updates and features additions to existing tools
- Provide support to local productions to keep the pipeline running smoothly
- Troubleshoot pipeline issues
- Fix bugs and tune workflow tools
- Install and configure software
- Assist with show work area creation and configuration
- Configure the pipeline to meet shows’ needs
- Develop per-show tool customizations as determined by show supervisors
- Provide training and assistance to artists on toolsets and workflows
- Participates in discussions surrounding future workflow and tool development
- Collaborates with artists and productions to develop efficient workflows and supporting tools
- Participate in the activities of the globally distributed production engineering team, including:
- development and support activities regular status and planning meetings as time zones permit adhere to development best practices and standards defined by Production Engineering Supervisor
What We’re Looking For
- A positive, “can-do” attitude with balance: must not be afraid to ask for help when getting outside experience base or comfort zone
- A clear and concise communicator: ability to keep end users informed of progress and managers informed of requests
- An effective listener: able to engage with and understand artists to discover what their requirements are
- An effective time manager: must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and not be afraid to ask for help if the path isn’t clear
- Passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through on assigned tasks
- An agile, flexible and quick thinker: this is an energetic, dynamic environment requiring an ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements
- A creative thinker and innovator: able to devise and employ ingenious solutions to difficult problems
- In-depth knowledge of python programming and the Linux environment
- Experience working with revision control systems and defined coding standards
- Experience designing and/or maintaining highly available systems with database, web services, ui and reporting subsystems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computing Science or Graphics discipline, or equivalent professional experience
- 3-6 years of experience in the visual effects or computer animation industries
- Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Experience developing with C++
- Experience with database technologies such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB or Redis
- Experience writing RESTful APIs
- Experience with Ansible and Docker
At Lucasfilm/ILM we believe that diversity, inclusion and belonging are integral to our company. We are at our best when our people at all levels reflect the vast life experiences of our audiences, and we thrive when ideas and decisions from all are valued and represented. If you are passionate about the role, but don't fit every criteria of the posting, we encourage you to still apply. We want to hear your story.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Australia) Pty. Ltd., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.