Senior CompositorApply NowApply Later Job ID 10000404 Location Sydney, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jul. 25, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
The Senior Compositor combines live action and computer generated elements into visual effects shots that realise the vision and creative direction of the client and Visual Effects Supervisor. The compositor is ultimately responsible for the aesthetic integrity and technical quality of the final image delivered to the client.
- Work with the Compositing Supervisor and Visual Effects Supervisor to evaluate the creative and technical approach for assigned shots
- Perform all tasks associated with the compositing process, including 2D tracking, matte extraction, layering of elements, and color grading on difficult shots
- Maintain the overall look, colour balance, and quality for assigned shots and sequences to create uniformity in all finished work
- Create generic looks for other artists to apply
- Work collaboratively with artists from other disciplines
- Independently provide solutions to technical and aesthetic problems with minimal direction, and can handle the most difficult tasks under intense time pressure
- Required Skills / Technical Competencies:
- Strong knowledge of Nuke
- Strong aesthetic skills in judging photo-realism and colour
- Ability to work gracefully under pressure to meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Strong sense of composition, colour and design
- Can quickly learn new software and techniques
- Familiarity with using Linux systems preferred.
- Ability to write Nuke gizmos and/or plugins is a plus
- Python and/or C++ experience a plus
Education / Experience
- At least 5 years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least 7 years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education
- Previous experience in look development and sequence supervision is ideal.
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- The ideal candidate has strong fine arts foundation skills, such as photography and photographic lighting
- Strong communication skills preferred.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Australia) Pty. Ltd., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.