Network Systems EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 10010515 Location Sydney, Australia Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Mar. 15, 2023
The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team provides tools and workflow allowing for seamless teamwork on all joint projects.
The Systems Engineer is responsible for designing and developing all aspects of the studio production infrastructure. You are responsible for designing, developing and maintaining studio infrastructure used by all departments throughout the company, and to ensure smooth operation of our multi-site, award winning, visual effects company.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
● Collaborates with local and global technology teams, artists and productions to maintain and develop efficient systems and services
● Participates in day to day operations and support tasks in the local studio
● Provides mentoring and assistance for IT and other support teams
● Serves as knowledge resource for systems and services used at ILM
● Proactively drives resolution of high level technical incidents and issues
● Monitors and maintains the health of core systems, services and resources
● Optimizes and updates existing systems and services, with an emphasis on security and reliability
● Creates new systems and services
● Leads technical projects from initial concept to completion
● Communicates with others to determine technical requirements and disseminate information regarding project status
● Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining a goal
● Manages the evaluation and development of emerging technology
● Maintains working relationships with vendors, integrators, and service contractors
● Maintains systems engineering standards and practices, with relevant documentation
● Participates in regular status and planning meetings
Here are the skills and experience you need to be successful in this role:
● Degree in Computing Science, or equivalent professional experience.
● 6-8 years experience of systems administration in complex heterogeneous environments
● Experience initiating projects, driving them, and reporting back on the results to key stakeholders
● Experience mentoring others in company procedures Required
● A positive, “can-do” attitude but not be afraid to ask for help when getting outside experience base or comfort zone
● A clear and concise communicator with ability to keep both end users and managers informed on progress and requests
● An effective listener, able to engage with technical and non-technical audiences to discover what their requirements are
● An effective time manager: Must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and not be afraid to ask for help if the path isn’t clear
● Passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through on assigned tasks
● An agile, flexible and quick thinker: This is an energetic, dynamic environment requiring an ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements
● A creative thinker and innovator: Able to devise and employ ingenious solutions to difficult problems
● A passionate and charismatic personality: Ability to inspire and motivate
● Expert knowledge of Linux including maintaining, trouble-shooting and optimising Linux-based server and desktop infrastructure
● Advanced knowledge of Bash, Python or other scripting or programming language
● Advanced knowledge of deploying and managing high-performance storage, network, render and server infrastructure
● Advanced knowledge of automating desktop and server deployments and configurations
● Advanced knowledge of deploying and managing virtual server and desktop infrastructure
● Advanced knowledge of deploying and managing cloud-based services and infrastructure
● Experience creating and supporting distributed, scalable systems and services that are fault tolerant and reliable
● Experience with media and film systems and technologies including virtual production
● Experience with hardware and software used in high-end visual effects image and graphics pipelines
● Experience working with remote desktop and streaming solutions
At Lucasfilm/ILM we believe that diversity, inclusion and belonging are integral to our company. We are at our best when our people at all levels reflect the vast life experiences of our audiences, and we thrive when ideas and decisions from all are valued and represented. If you are passionate about the role, but don't fit every criteria of the posting, we encourage you to still apply. We want to hear your story.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ILM (Australia) Pty. Ltd., which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.