Lead Media Engineer (playout)
Texas, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 823517BR Location Texas, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jul. 14, 2021
Job Summary:The Lead Media Engineer (Playout Systems) is a hands-on leader providing advanced support-engineering dedicated to the day-to-day sustainment and triage of The Woodlands broadcast facility (DC3) core and all related systems, DC3 supports the acquisition, playout, and distribution of media for event and studio production for the Disney family of networks.
This system expertise role is responsible for the high-level sustainment of playout, distribution, conditioning, monitoring, and routing infrastructure, among others, throughout the facility as well as to and from DMED’s other facilities for content ingest and network distribution.
This person is expected to become intimately familiar with the facility’s operation, as well as leading and training others on the MOE staff at DC3 on critical systems such as all forms of playout technologies. They must have comprehensive knowledge of broadcast-specific playout equipment and conventions, IT-centric solutions, and novel approaches to solving traditional broadcast-related challenges.
Responsibilities:The engineer will be responsible for ensuring all broadcast and media infrastructure technical areas and services are provided to the highest standards and complete specific routine tasks as detailed by supervisory and management staff.
For this specific role applicant shall provide expert level hands-on support of playout systems including, but not limited to,
- Various playout and storage systems such as Imagine
- Broadcast Video Routing Systems (Baseband and 2110 routing)
- Broadcast Video Production Switchers
- Audio Standards (AES / Embedded SDI / Dolby)
- Compression Standards (HEVC, MPEG-4, MPEG-2)
- Cueing Data (SCTE-35, SCTE-104)
- Perform configuration, upgrades, troubleshooting, and restoration of infrastructure equipment. This includes, but is not limited to servers, mass storage devices, broadcast proprietary devices, complex cloud-based, and traditional broadcast playout support systems and global distribution models, including A/V routing, signal processing, automation, and remote control equipment (both IP and serial-based), satellite equipment (including RX/TX, satellite dishes, IRDs, and satellite receivers), fiber connectivity, MPEG2, MPEG4, HEVC (ASI and IP based encoders and decoders), video and audio routers, audio mixers and consoles, cameras, monitors, broadcast monitoring and RF test equipment, and multi-viewer equipment.
- Using a wide-array of software and hardware tools analyze and troubleshoot network health and the flow of media streams in the baseband and IP domains.
- Leads the planning and execution of facility upgrades and shutdowns to insure expected outcomes.
- Author well-written, detailed technical documentation and Root Cause Analysis as required.
- Provide on-call support 24 hours, 365 days per year. Support may entail phone conference, remote support sessions, or physical presence at the facility to assist with equipment failure or other critical issues impacting systems.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of television production, OTT, and network-level technical requirements, standards, and solutions.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in a fast-paced technical broadcast environment.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in, Media/Broadcast Engineering with emphasis on playout Engineering.
- Strong problem-solving skills with a sense of urgency to identify the root cause and implement the fix.
- Knowledge of cloud-based fundamentals and current technological offerings of vendors such as Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure is highly desirable.
- Extensive knowledge of media production hardware, software, systems and specifications, TCP/IP protocols on servers and workstations, systems management, and server administration.
- Extensive knowledge of routing and distribution of media signals including baseband and 2110.
- Extensive demonstrated IT skills, including TCP/IP networking concepts and equipment, storage systems, redundant computer system concepts, administration, etc.
- Proficient in A/V file transcoding, data archiving processes, and video compression technologies & standards.
- Proficient with video storage systems and video playout servers.
- Knowledge of media workflow tools and production systems such as Mediator, Imagine, Dalet, Ross, or other similar systems
- Strong ability to read and generate system documentation (Visio, ACAD).
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and problem-solving skills while maintaining a business-level view towards resolution. Must be able to troubleshoot complex multi-vendor system issues
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Physical requirements and work environment: Ability to climb ladders, work on raised structures, and building roofs. The ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- One or more of the following or equivalent Broadcast IT certifications, ex. CCNA, MCP, AWS, CompTIA A+/Network+, SBE, SMPTE, VMware Associate.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Information Technology, or a minimum of 4 years of experience in a media/broadcast engineering environment as described above.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.