COUNSEL - Japan Legal AffairsApply NowApply Later Job ID 768741BR Location Japan Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 11/11/2020
- Provide legal support as necessary for the expansion and growth of Disney’s businesses in Japan in general, and in particular with regard to issues impacting those businesses in the Direct-to-Consumer, Content Sales & Acquisition, Content Production and Home Entertainment business segments.
- Contract drafting, review and interpretation.
- Preparation of memoranda and correspondence.
- Instruct, oversee and manage outside counsel.
- Negotiation with counterparties to agreements relating to Disney businesses in Japan.
- Advise and counsel Disney Japan business executives on legal and regulatory issues affecting the Japan market.
- Coordinate with other members of Disney’s Legal Department to provide legal support and advice to Disney businesses in Japan.
- Admitted to practice law in Japan or an English-speaking jurisdiction.
- Solid experience and understanding in issues concerning Japanese corporate/commercial law and Japanese intellectual property law, particularly copyright, trademark and unfair competition.
- Keen analytical insight and strong legal capability.
- Understanding of the legal and business customs and practices of a US-based multinational enterprise.
- Familiarity and experience with business practices of the Japanese entertainment and digital media industries.
Previous Work (or other requisite) Experience:
- A minimum of 8 years of legal experience in law firm and/or multinational corporate legal department, focused on corporate/commercial and IP practice.
Any Other Requirements:
- Native Japanese language ability in negotiating, drafting and reading.
- Proficient English language ability in negotiating, drafting and reading.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in Japanese and English.
- J.D., LL.B., LL.M., or equivalent
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Direct-to-Consumer and International, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.