Lawyer, Japan Legal AffairsApply NowApply Later Job ID 886922BR Location Japan Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted 11/15/2021
Job Summary:The Walt Disney Company (Japan) Ltd. is seeking an experienced attorney to join Disney’s Legal team. In collaboration with legal colleagues from other Asia-Pacific markets and with guidance from senior members of the group, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for legal matters arising in connection with development, production and acquisition of Japanese content for Disney’s streaming services and television channels, including evaluating rights and chain of title issues, drafting and negotiating agreements, providing legal counsel to production executives and other key stakeholders, and providing thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues.
- Provide legal support as necessary for the expansion and growth of Disney’s businesses in Japan, particularly in the areas of media Content Acquisition, Content Production and Direct-to-Consumer areas.
- Prepare, negotiate, review and interpret a wide variety of agreements and other documents related to development, production, acquisition, distribution, marketing and exploitation of television programs, films and other audiovisual content.
- Acquisition and licensing of rights, legal analysis related to chain of title, intellectual property rights and other rights management matters.
- Draft, negotiate and evaluate talent contracts related to development and production services and prepare memos summarizing unique rights/obligations applicable to certain engagements and content.
- Provide counsel on structuring development and production engagements and other matters related to production set-up and rights acquisition strategies.
- Advice and training to creative teams in relation to production clearance matters.
- Instruct, oversee and manage outside counsel.
- Negotiation with counterparties to agreements relating to Disney businesses in Japan.
- Advise and counsel Disney Japan business executives on legal and regulatory issues affecting the Japan market.
- Coordinate with other members of Disney’s Legal Department to provide legal support and advice to Disney businesses in Japan and other Asia-Pacific markets.
- Admitted to practice law in Japan or an English-speaking jurisdiction.
- Solid experience and understanding in issues concerning Japanese corporate/commercial law and Japanese intellectual property law, particularly copyright, trademark and unfair competition.
- Keen analytical insight and strong legal capability.
- Understanding of the legal and business customs and practices of a US-based multinational enterprise.
- A minimum of 6 years of legal experience in law firm and/or multinational corporate legal department, focused on IP and licensing practice, ideally in an entertainment context
- Native (or near-native) Japanese language ability in negotiating, drafting and reading.
- Proficient English language ability in negotiating, drafting and reading.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in Japanese and English.
- Familiarity and experience with business practices of the Japanese entertainment, publishing and digital media industries; capacity to stay current on emerging business and legal trends in the motion picture, television and new media industries.
- Ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business unit and enterprise level perspective and to work in an environment with a high degree of confidentiality.
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple high priority projects in a fast-paced production environment.
- J.D., LL.B., LL.M., or equivalent
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Direct-to-Consumer and International, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).